2018 Gem Spedometer Cluster issue

Hi Mike hope your doing good, I haven’t heard back from my unfortunate install day, I’m hoping your remaining healthy and safe.

To add to my list of new GEM issues , Sunday morning when I attempted to pull GEM out ( w OG 2018 speedometer ) for a quick test drive I noticed the Red brake indicator illuminating after e-brake was realeased with zero drive or reverse power.

• Saturday’s testing the newly purchased 2016 speedometer w no power or response, traveling back and forth less than 4 feet and immediately reinstalling original 2018 Speedo somehow alarmed my brake indicator warning light ON full time. Currently stopping the vehicle from any present movement until this unexpected issue is reset. In addition,I cannot find anywhere on-line with a similar issue and reset procedure.

Maybe Troy can assist, in addition i’d like to return the 2016 speedometer to you this week.

Sorry for the bad news.

Michael

Michael,
Sorry, I have not been on the forum - been out testing and dealing with 600 of my office working wanting to work from home (I am in IT).
No problem - sounds like you might have more issues than just a speedo, maybe an ECU? I have and ECU also if you want to try it? It was out of the same car. I can’t see where it could hurt anything to try it?
@Michael1

Thanks for the time and response, sounds like your busy busy. Mike, i don’t know what direction to go with this new discrepancy. Why would a easy plug and play speedometer install take my ECU down?

Last Saturday driving the GEM as normal before install, performed install of purchased speedo, car still moved forward and backwards but zero power to speedometer or needle response. Removed purchased speedometer (not working) and reinstalled original but now brake indicator light illuminated. GEM car is now stalled ? i was hoping it was a easy fix without having a GEM serviceman coming over and charging a bundle.

Like I said it sounds like you ECU is slowly failing bit by bit. It controls most everything in the car.

Have you “reset” the car. No idea if it’s even possible, but disconnect all power for a few seconds.
I would not change ecu without access to polaris tech. I don’t think Polaris would allow a simple swap. It stores mileage etc.
Grant or myself can test either or both speedometers.

Are you sure that “brake” is not showing a real fault? Switch, level, etc.

Sorry for the LONG replies…,I’m on the FD out here in Huntington Beach, keep getting calls in between our discussion.

I completely understand you’re going out of your way and trying to assist me. Honestly, I wouldn’t know how to exchange the ECU, sounds like you know the vehicle behaviors pretty good. I’m starting to realize I’m in serious pickle with my GEM as of Saturday.

Do you have any indications why the speedometer shipped Didn’t work? Upon install I noticed it was previously opened up and worked on by the pry marks and heat weld reattached? Not a huge deal but I figured when it had only 20miles on it, the speedometer wasn’t comprised or refurbished. I was just excited to have my needle issue fixed etc.

Not yet, I was hoping a full reset might remove,I can try today after work

No I don’t know, Like I said it came in installed the the car I currently have. I pulled it and the ECU when I got it and it has been on the shelf since. I completely re-wired the car and converted to Lithium and AC Motor. I don’t have the history of the speedo, just that I was installed in the car when I got it. Since the car had no wiring harness I had no way to test it. Hense my reason to try before you buy. Happy to refund you money if it does not work.

You guys have been nothing but great and helpful, I really appreciate it

I was thinking a main power disconnect, might (fingers crossed) might reset. I will let you know (:

There are really only two things left, the ECU and the Controller.

Hi Good Afternoon,

Thanks for the assistance today

Im looking on-line through the GEM manual and locating the highlighted main power disconnect, the diagram provided looks different from when i had the vehicles hood removed Sunday. Do you have any updated pictures or suggestions on the correct location (MPC) later today when i arrive home, thanks

It’s hard to find. A small plug that interrupts the 48v and 12v circuits.
Only the 12v circuits remain active to the electronics. It may be worth trying to disconnect the 12v battery.
Have you looked for faults? Is wrench illuminated?
With no faults, it seems you may have an actual problem with the brake switches or wiring.

Thanks, No wrench indicator illuminated just the red parking warning w/ the e-brake set or released

It the weirdest thing i’ve experienced. Literally drove that morning. switched the speedometer and switched back to original noticing the parking indicator not resetting

I think you can see the parking brake switch with only the top cover off. See if a wire pulled off.
Also look for the master cylinder switch or see if the brake lights work.

Captured this photo 1st w parking brake off, unplugged Main disconnect just now.

You can see it (the parking break switch) I have mine apart now and it’s right on top of the lever.

Shoot me a photo if you have a second, thanks

Mine is not hooked up but here is the switch and you want to make sure both ends of both those two red wires are connected.