2016 Gem ELXD Fault Code 520358 and 65613

2016 Gem ELXD showing 2 fault codes, 520358 (BCM Thermistor Fault) and 65613 (Throttle Position Sensor Fault).

AGM Batteries, Delta Q Charger

Was wondering if anyone on the forum has dealt with any of the 2 faults before. Car keeps going into a limp mode so does not make it too fun to drive.

Checked plug on throttle nothing wacky going on there. Checked the rest of the harness for any signs of wear and our heat damage grounds etc. Nothing obvious to my eyes at the moment.

Only other thing to note is a noticed I would get shocked when the charger is plugged in if I touch the chassis anywhere measured it and it was putting out 15 vac to ground. Noticed the receptacle on the GEM does not have a ground? I imagine that is not suppose to be that way but the receptacle doesnt look like its been damaged as if someone removed it?

@djgabriel2004 is the expert.
Give him more to work with.
History
Battery type and age
Any battery swaps or flashes by dealer
Bmc are troublesome. Twin sensors for lead batteries are in rear. If they are the thermistors referred to. Not likely to fail but easy to test. Plug in from another car maybe.
Lucky for you new throttles are low cost to shotgun the throttle issue.

My list of codes might not be updated because I don’t have these, where did you get it from?

I would start checking the Temp sensor (it’s attached to the main negative bolt of the battery pack. Disconnect it and spray contact cleaner on the 4 pin connector. Then do the same with the throttle (plugin the throttle connector back is a challenge) If that doesn’t solve it I would proceed to Reflash the BMC to discard it’s a software related, however you need someone with Access to Dealer software to do it.
All this assuming all the wires are ok

There is a Gnd pin in the socket that is connected to the deltaQ , I have a replacement socket that works with any j1772 and it’s grounded in case you want to replace it.

1 Like

I got the codes from the 6th dealer that I cold called by proximity to me. He was the first one that was either competent enough to know what I was talking about and/or kind enough to do me the free favor of looking up the code list. The dealer that helped did mention he would gladly send them to me somehow which I thought was cool and if he wasnt 3 hours away would just swing by and grab them. May have to make it worth his while to send them to me in email or postal.

Had more time today to troubleshoot. For the 520358 fault I was showing correct thermistor resistance on the charger plug but not the bmc plug. So I checked and cleaned the plug by the main negative post and noticed that if the plug was just slightly pushed out it would loose continuity on the bmc. Currently have a zip tie helping hold the plug together. If it keeps acting up I will just remove the plug and solder/shrink the wires.

For the 65613 fault I removed the throttle and took apart the housing to clean around the magnet and coil for no more reason then an excuse to open something up did not have high hopes for it. Put it back together same issue. Plug looked fine pins were all good and contact surfaces clean. Have replacement throttle on order should be in next week.

Less than $100 I hope. They are being dumped on surplus market.

45 dollars off of ebay specifically this one.

Throttle

I will report back if it works.

Also is there anything I need to do with my stock delta charger as I am making the switch over to lifepo4.

Battery

Yes, good find. I bought several, and they work fine. Not your problem but a cheap try. :slight_smile:

@Inwo - What do you think about his symptom of having some weird voltage leak on the frame? Do you think this stray current may be getting into some of the sensors and messing things up?

@knifefish - When you measured 15v, what were you probing to get this reading? Frame and what else? I am guessing that when car is unplugged this goes away?

It was 15VAC chassis to ground. It is only when the charger is plugged in. I am pretty sure it is from the ground pin not being on the 120v male receptacle on the gem. Going to replace and test it for sure.

I have replacement thermistors if you need one. Also how old is battery under dash?

1 Like