2016+ Gem controller swap

You know how they roll over there - off work means off work, not like us :slight_smile:

One of them was out for a week and didnā€™t respond, but theyā€™re good people.

Yes, seems like it. They asked ā€œmeā€ after I placed an order.

I wonder if thatā€™s limiting performance in my 48v gem. The file from France has 300a battery current limit. Ok for 80v. May be next on my list. Or log a run for sure.

1 Like

80v controller with 48v lead is a fail. Batteries donā€™t make the grade.
While adding a 12v battery will undoubtedly work, there is not a market.
On to testing lead with 48v controller to see if itā€™s worth the swap for 10mph gain.

1 Like

Bummer - thanks for all the work.

1 Like

I think youā€™re too close to the Min voltage accepted by the 80v sevcon.
checking your log seems like youā€™re hitting the low battery setting from DVT on at least 3 occasions.
I didnā€™t see a critical low level alert though (like Ernie had in his log)

Seems like youā€™re running at 50v but it went all the way down to 43v at some point

based on the specs the controller will be ok at 70% of the nominal V (56V)

It will also work all the way down until 39.1v but I donā€™t think it will be happy. see note 2

Just a side note: When Ernie was connecting his s4 to DVT on the bench at 24v the sevcon did turn on and it was connecting to DVT but he was having some random errors when loading the dcf that went away as soon as he raised the voltage.

donā€™t you have a 48v controller by any chance?

I do, a S4 and S6 from France. I will continue with those.
Spend too much time on dead ends, but you donā€™t know until you try. What I have will work. Itā€™s just too close to sell to someone.

Next is to get the S4 48v running to see if I can get a performance boost at 60v.

Pretty easy switching controllers and files now. I save the motor parameters for 5kw and 6.5kw as partial dcf. I can put then in a controller with a click.

Wish we had correct motor data for the 8kw motor. Maybe I can find an 8kw file with the same name plate ratings and stator resistance.

Iā€™m set at 40v which just happens to be the setting the 48v controller came with. I can see that with lead it needs to be lower to supply 300 amps. I may raise or remove the battery limits using the S4.

1 Like

Back to 48v S4 using new sw and dcf.
Put in motor data, throttle + FS1, battery volt limits, regen, runs like a dream. No faults yet.
Mild performance as stock and 35mph speed.

Calling this a success until I can get one out for review.

1 Like

I have only one controller with two more coming in a few weeks.
This is a completely reversible swap.
I can sell one to a well known forum member for testing, and refund with return.

Dave,
I assume you still loose speedo function? Anything else?

1 Like

Interesting question.

@Inwo Iā€™ve heard that you can save a partial dcf.
Iā€™m trying to make the stock motor to spin with the S6

I was able to get the motor/encoder info from the OEM Polaris and I was able to save a partial DCF (including TPDOā€™s) wondering if I load that dcf will wipe everything and fill just what I saved or it will rewrite just that info?

Thatā€™s about it. Everything else seems to work fine. Itā€™s been so long since Iā€™ve driven a new Gem that I donā€™t know if there is a gain or loss of performance.
If you have access to a new Gem, I can send controller or the files.

You can load the partial info into another dcf. Do you have a car to put the motor in, or your high voltage car?

Thatā€™s what I do to use a different motor. Take a good running dcf and load the motor info.
I have the partial file for both 5kw and 6.5kw motors.
Also the complete dcf.

The temp sensor is different in my Gem motor. Let me know if you get the correct settings. For now I have a resistor that makes it read room temp.

You are running a S6 sevcon?

Yeah My friend gave me an S6 with with the sevcon display, itā€™s wired already with a throttle too but the encoder pins donā€™t match, the connector has 6 pin.

And the motor has 4 pin plus 2 (which I assume itā€™s the temp sensor)

Im learning that there are different encoders and seems like his encoder is different than the Gem stock 5kw motor

I was able to save a partial dcf from the oem Polaris and I was planing to use the batteries I took from the GEM,
I donā€™t have a car to put it, Iā€™m just trying to gain knowledge

1 Like

You at least need a gearbox to run it.
The encoder pins are shown in the gen4 manual. Same as what you are running.
Unless itā€™s not an induction motor program. What we is in it?

1 Like

Yea using the stock gear box from the Gem.
I think it has a Pmac program on itā€¦ So Iā€™m planing to change load another DLD

Get the 72v files from Max for 15kw induction motor. Load motor parameters from gem and it should run fine.

I am running the 48v s4 15kw motor file now. Runs great with few changes other than motor data and the expected throttle and coil changes.

I may have the 72v files also but I only ordered 48v controllers. If you get the Polaris controller jail broke, the 48v file is ready to run the 6.5kw motor.

I also have a 10kw pmac that bolts up, and @MikeKC has a 5kw version.
It would be nice if you can put the s6 in your gem and test the monster pmac. Twice the torque and half the weight.

1 Like