2016+ Gem controller swap

@grantwest
And a snag. Stupid Sevcon…
When cloning a 2nd controller for you, I found that hardware differences in controllers, means I can’t use the Ranger file in the type of controller that we’ve been using.
Back to the drawing board. Will now try to detune the “grant” file to 48v and put it in our standard S6 controllers.
If I get @MikeKC onboard, should not take long. I may try to get him a test vehicle to help out.

I am here - will help the best I can.

2 Likes

Me too!! I did a thing :flushed:

The thing is coming in a few days :wink:

1 Like

Back in the saddle today.
To whom it may concern!
Straight Gem EM1400 clone, still running as previous testing.
S6 80v model 110 controller. (only one I have) :frowning:
Lead batteries 48v.
Performance is fair. 35mph and 27 uphill.

Only issue is slight rumble when smashing pedal from dead stop.
My guess is that it’s the slight difference in motor specs.
If I wasn’t so lazy, I would swap motors. Sure could use some on-site help to keep me moving.

Lazy way is to swap motor parameters in dcf file. If that doesn’t help, it must be S4 48v versus S6 80v hardware difference.
@MikeKC

Meanwhile, I’m going to record motor specs to compare.

Continued from @Erniea15 conversion thread

First step. Stop messing around with 80v controllers and put in a known running 48v Polaris Ranger EV clone.

Done, about 1/2 hour later have a poorly running 2018 Gem. :slight_smile:
Rangers are kind of doggy.

Second step. Load a Gem EM-1400 dcf. May run out of daylight for testing. The EM-1400 is very sporty to drive with similar motor to my 2018 truck.
Only difference is that I have a S6 48v in place and the 1400 is a S4. Both use the Polaris off road DLD. Should load with no errors and be ready to roll.
Yeh, right. Like that could ever happen. :slight_smile:

If it works fairly well, on to Step 3.
Try messing with tpdo settings.
Anyone know a way to load them from another dcf. Like put the Gem EL tpdo file in my 1400 clone. Manually will suck ass.

Now have a smooth running controller for a stock 2016+ with the 6.5kw oem motor
Everything is as original Gem except 9,000rpm 35mph
New controller is a S6 48v Gen4 using S4 limits cloned from Gem EL-1400 S4 48v
2018 6.5kw motor data added to cloned dcf
Motor temperature sensor is bypassed until I get it sorted out
Single drive profile is unchanged but for rpm limit changed to 9,200 rpm

Dave: I have the Perfect customer for you. The guy that bought my 2019 E-6 Just called me today. Would this controller you have work for him?

Is he near you? What are his goals? Just a little more speed?
The bad news for now, only have one 48v controller and I’ve got $**** in it from a ranger ev.
My goal is to load the program in an 80v s6. Sounds easy, but has eluded me in past attempts.

This time I’m going at it differently. Rather than trying to get an 80v controller working in the vehicle, I started with known working hw/sw. Immediate success getting a driveable car.

Last step is get dld/dcf in a more common controller to run without faults. @MaxAtMaxMarine and @LithiumGods have found Sevcon contacts that may help me out.

If you want to do the swap I can get you my only 48v controller while continuing the research.
Also putting a 60v Goliath battery in my 2018 el, time permitting.

Day 2. (or 100 total)
New Gem 1400 is in. Got it running 35mph with correct speedometer.
Takes two miles to get there, but battery connections are crap. Also may need to adjust the power map to perk it up.

Time to throw money at this conversion and get it done. Have some new 48v controllers coming and a can bus dash for Sevcon. S4 and S6. This will tell me if my issue is with the controller type or the switch from 48v to 89v Sevcon.
Hoping the touch screen can change some things.

1 Like

Sounds sweet. Can’t wait the one-two years. :smiley:

Hopefully it won’t be in the middle of another pandemic and take 4 months to get.

Lol

That means you were able to config the Speedometer?

You found my French guys! Thierry is a wealth of knowledge and happy to answer any questions. I have some stuff coming from them as well, could be a game changer, could be a small waste of play money, these guys have all kinds of fun stuff!

1 Like

My friend who gave me a S6 included an old screen as well.

Never hooked it up

Ok I just plugged in to the S6 and it surprised me, it’s like a mini hand held DVT

It will also show the speed/battery/Gear in the main screen.

1 Like

Btw, I went outside to hammer the pedal a couple times. Max current I’ve seen was 380A.

No errors so far

1 Like

I have one here locked with a password.
Any takers?

No, just the one in the 2015.

1 Like

@Inwo
Do we know if the Sevcon should be master or slave? I know it should be node one but it looks like node one can be either?

No, I don’t have a clue. I am quite sure that the controller is not sending data to speedometer directly. It makes more sense that raw velocity is sent to Gem VCM. Then scaled data is sent to the dash along with F-R etc.
But who knows!
If speed is a different object than velocity, maybe the sevcon can send the speed data to the dash directly. What happens if the VMC is sending 0 speed at the same time as Sevcon is sending actual speed data?

Or is it not an issue? We just send the same raw velocity data from Sevcon to VMC and let VCM do the scaling?

Sorry, I got sidetracked again with a new Gem 1400 that just came in.
Very good news though. It’s a 2015 street legal Gem using an unlocked gen4 controller.

Yes, and I may need some help. So far they have not answered my emails, but I may be overwhelming them. I have been replying to there question about what the 48v controllers would be used for.

Nothing here with tpdos. I can’t get past my current dilemma.
I have a lot of controllers acquired for a good price and would like to use them, naturally.

My 48v S4 Polaris clone files run fine in a 48v 313 S6 controller. 313 being the part number suffix. Using Polaris sw in all (711 dld)

It will also run in an 80v S6 part 110. But, it’s the only one I have.
Will not load without errors in part 203 or 101, which I have in both S4 and S6.
Polaris is part 410 for the most part.

Sevcon told me that there was little difference in parts excepting for encoder support.

I’m sure I’m repeating myself, but I learned a little more today and need it recorded.

@MikeKC I can send you my working file if you want to load it and check the errors.
This is a side project only useful for 2016 controller only swaps. The idea being to use a S6 48v to match the current of an oem S4 48v.