2016+ Cup Holders

If you have New gem surly you have found out that the Cup holders on the dash are not great.
You go around a corner and because of high center of gravity and a 1 size fits all large hole you will find your spilling quite often. My brother printed up these Cup Holders for the new Style gems. They mount between the Seats front and Rear. Like this

I plan on installing 2 in this location ^ mounted front to back. Same for the rear seats

Here is how the Print looks 4 at a time 40 Hrs print time

We did 2 color combos.
Black with Gold insert . And White &Grey insert

The insert makes cleaning the holder easy you can slide them out and wash them super easy

OR use it as a Sizer. The holder was made to hold the larger Stainless Mugs and the insert makes it just a bit smaller for all others

1 Like

1 Like

I love it but they would need to have eyelets for bungie straps to keep cups in the holder due to the fine suspension of the 2002 GEMs. My hands are the cup holder and my arms the dampening mechanism when I dare bring a drink along and that includes close-able lid coffee mugs.

These look great. Good job.

My Brother printed me up 2 more for my car.

And then he printed a support piece that straddles the mounting point.

So now we can run all 4 bolts and “clamp”
The cup holders to the frame

BTW, I started a thread about 3D printed parts a few years ago:

1 Like

I got the new cup holders with the Spacer so they will be stronger. No problem with the originals but just wanted to make them better

This was my Original cup holder

Out with the old

In with the New

Silver and Black

look and probably work way better than the flat cup holder. Keep an eye on the corners where the mounts meet the rounded cup holder parts. There’s no fillet there to spread the stresses and I’ve found tight corners like that tend to be a fracture point.

I think it would be a problem if he only used the two top bolts to mount the cup holders.

But scrolling back up (around post 11) he shows a spacer block that goes between the lower mounts of the cups which ties them both together and transfers any offset Big Gulp loads to the other cup.

I like the accent of the inserts. It really sets them off.
What are the holes in the top for?

1 Like

yes, I saw that too and it should help transfer the torsional loads to the other side. Just thinking a full Big Gulp will still have some mass to stress those 3D printed corners. No need to reprint, just know there is an easy way to help improve should there be any failures.

We are already talking about a New design that would not require you to drill.

The cup holders would Saddle the top Steet bar and then you would install the bottom spacer and that would lock the cup holders into place.

Also another Idea was to make it so the inserts are removable and re-install on the bottom side of the holder , making it so the black cup holder has a large hole in the bottom when inserts are removed so super tall Mugs can slide threw the holder and ride real low in the holder.

1 Like

all that looks great and yes on the loop design for large cups. BUT, what I am talking about isn’t about any of that, it is about the forces on the loop part at the sharp corners of the mount. Consider where the forces are when you put your hand on the top edge furthest from the mounting bar and push downward. Just not as strong having sharp corners instead of rounded fillets to distribute the load.

Hey Grant, can you share the Files?
thanks