2015 Gem with non performing Magic Magnet. HELP

That explains it, guarantee the settings are wrong in there for any kind of speed. I’ll message you my contact information and the details

2 Likes

Thanks for this interesting and useful information!

Let me know when your back and I’ll send the controller for your special LG reprogramming. It’s all packed and ready to go.
Thanks, Mike

Just got home. Go ahead and ship it to me.

Thanks. It’s in the mail.

Can the 2015 t5 be programmed for more speed without the magic magnet?

yes. But the speedo won’t be as close to real speed as the MM. Depends on tire size and model Gem. Low 30’s.

Hello @LithiumGods and @Inwo - I have a 2015 Gem E4 that cannot make it up the steep hills in my neighborhood. I have already swapped out lead acid with Samsung SDI 22S lithium battery and also swapped out 14" wheels for 10" but still no help with steep inclines. The motor has Magic Magnet and armature and brushes are in good shape. The brakes are not an issue either. I can only think of one more potential fix - reprogramming the T5 controller. Unfortunately, I can’t find anyone local that works on Gems and I was hoping one of you can provide some guidance on buying the Sentry software and dongle for a DIY fix?

Any advice is much appreciated!
Dan

Tacking onto a year old thread not related to you issue is not the best way to get a solution. It is best to start your own topic.

Also- a targeted answer would be more accurate if we would have an idea where you might be located.

To post a new topic/start a new thread

Yep - it is hidden.
The easiest method is to just tap your keyboard “c” key(no modifiers). This action will open up the “New Topic” editor window. (think “c” for create). A sample of what your are publishing is in the window to the right.

Depending on what is being viewed at the time, the editor might copy/paste a few things into your editor window along with some HTML markup in the Body.

Clear all that out of you are starting a new topic. Type in a new Topic name. Make it catchy and somewhat descriptive as to what your issue is.

Also- use the pull down window and select which forum you want your new message to end up.

If you want to insert a graphic or picture to help with your description use the Insert Graphic tool in the editor toolbar.

If your picture is too big you can scale it 100, 75, 50% if you cursor over it in the View window.

If you want more handy forum shortcuts and tips, pull down the Hamburger Menu located up next to the Magnifying Glass search tool. Yes, it is actually called the Hamburger Menu.

Hold the pickles.

I don’t sell them. Who did you get the SDI 22s from? Have them reprogram it. I do it for all my clients.

Thanks for the quick reply @LithiumGods. I performed the lithium upgrade myself (purchased from EV West) with additional guidance from Scott Duburg. Unfortunately, Scott is 150+ miles away, so he’s too far for convenience. Do you happen to know of anyone else that may sell the dongle and software? Or a local Gem repair expert near Grass Valley, California? Much appreciated!

got mine years ago from forklift electronics . Get ready for hours of time getting the software to work. I remember it was a pita.

Swapping out wheels doesn’t mean squat. The key factors are tire diameter and transmission gear ratio. 2015 has a 10.35 gear ratio…swapping for a 12.44 would help as would low profile 19.5 diameter tires. If you want to climb walls go to a 14.76 gear set.

Programming is key if was programmed for top speed on level ground you wont have enough torque for hilly country… Setting the " field weakening" setting at to low a value robs torque in a hurry.

Thank you @Old_Houseboater - much appreciated. I found a shop near Sacramento that works on Gems, so I will follow up with them about possible gear swap.