2005 Gem E4 error code 21

Exactly, that would have changed my approach.
Make perfect sense now.

so I’ll be shipping this controller back out to FSIP, hopefully they fix it right this time. Once I get it back (probably 3 weeks) and get it installed I’m hoping the error code will be gone and no other codes pop up. I’ll message you then to give you an update and figure out if I need anymore help and also talk about getting my old pedal to you for helping me out. Thanks again

@Inwo, my 08 gem doesn’t click when I release my e-brake, it clicks as soon as I hit the throttle. I’ve noticed a few other threads where people have mentioned there’s doesn’t click when the e-brake is released, just putting it out there that they might not click unless I’ve somehow managed to be the exception?

if anyone is still monitoring this post… I have a similar problem. Im getting 5v on each side.
The Gem problem started with the road speed varying. Then the motor stopped working. The Motor was replaced at a repair center. The center that repaired it also said the battery amps were low and i should consider replacing the batteries. They were over 5 years old, so i replaced them. The varying speed issue continued and speed quickly declined to not being able to exceed 10mph. We tested the accelerator… ohms were not to spec. I then replaced the accelerator with a new replacement and Im now getting an error 21. I tried putting the old accelerator back in… same error 21. Help!

So this is a 2005?

On each side of just anything? Not much help.
If you mean acc pedal, then yes. That’s the problem.
5v on pin 7 means that neg on pin 8 is not connected to the low side of pot in acc pedal.

You didn’t give us much to work with.

Disregard the cutting wires. This picture is for a throttle repair.

Where did you get this replacement pedal?
As Inwo points out above ^^
Where are you measuring this 5v?

sorry if i was not clear. i had replied to a specific post that gave direction on how to test the accelerator peddle.

i dont believe its the peddle because the code 21 showed up after the peddle was replaced and if i reinstall the old peddle i still get the code, and never had before.
what else could cause the issue. the gem is a 2010.

When you are testing a pedal for proper Voltage it needs to be plugged into the harness. To do this, it covers up these pins.

You either need to make an extension harness or pierce through the pedal wires with your probe tips.

Is this what you did?

1 Like

Test the b- wire by piercing . Lower right black in picture. If it remains at zero volts, wiper white cannot go over 4.5v, and cause -21 fault.
Trace it out or add another wire to B-

Another way to put it. If pin in black circle measues 5v, it obviously is not connected to b-. (Pin8)

no i tested the connections at the plug.

Is it possible you had your meter set on Ohms when you were testing the pedal pins? I find it odd that you would even get a reading with the pedal unplugged.

(note: the word probe should be substituted and used only when necessary as to not send jrjava into flashbacks of his alien encounter again)

no it was set of the 10v dc setting. its an analog meter so 1/2 volt might be tough to see.

Which pedal did you get for a replacement?
Where did it come from?

You can test open circuit but not as accurate.
Test the gem plug for 5v between red and black.
The female contacts that match red and black.
To be a real test use a low impedance cheap analog meter or load meter across pins with a 10k resistor.

Ps. Red is current limited so another test is safe.
Short red and black. Voltage goes to zero when measured from b-.

Omg, no. $400?
Do you have the old one?

Up in his original post (#44) he tried the new pedal, got a -21, then went abck to the original pedal and now it also produces a -21.

This leads me to think something is not connecting back up (pedal plug or at 7, 8, 9 on controller)

or perhaps the new pedal damaged the controller? Check for 5v coming from controller/harness plug on the pins circled in red and black. (not the pedal, the harness side of the plug) remember to mirror over to the proper pins.

Bullet proof in controller. IMO
Wiring issue most likely. But who knows.

@finsupnh - Where did you go???