2003 Gem - Diagnosis Assistance- Motor?

I have a 2003 Gem 4 seater, the Zivan charger has been upgraded and front disc brake conversion kit added, but other than that I believe it is stock. Tonight when driving a slight downhill at between 25-28 (I do NOT have a magnet), when I came off the throttle there was a unique sound (slight grinding noise) and smell (hot). It happened at the time when the cart was trying to automatically slow down because it was going too fast. Any thoughts or suggestions? My thought was the motor, but I would be greatlful for a more knowledgeable opinion.

Shortly after we got code -66 (field transistor exceeds its current limit). I can’t think that this would have anything to do with it, but this past weekend I performed battery maintenance (topped them off with distilled and individually charged – running US Battery US31DCs).

I was able to slow roll it home about ½ mile, but tried not to let it get to the point where the automatic braking mechanism kicked in.

Thanks for the assistance.

It sounds like you really leaned on what is called Plug Braking. This is kind of a jake-brake for electric motors. Yes- it is really hard on motors. Is this a long/steep hill? What was it like going up the other side? Is it possible that you really taxxed this motor?

If you go down this hill often in your route, Try a bit of two foot driving.
Left foot controlling the speed by dragging brake a bit more, Right foot slightly pressing on accel pedal so that it is not full Pedal Up.

Next time you have someone in and looking at motor programming/settings, ask them to dial it down or turn it off completely.

Hopefully the -66 cleared. If it keeps coming back then the controller may be hurt. When was the last time you serviced your motor?