2005 GEM Charging Question

Hi,

I’m a new GEM owner, a used 2005 E4 with new Gel batteries. I was told that for the first 20-30 charges I should plug it in when the battery level indicator was on the yellow bar. The first ten charges I had a green light on the charger once the charge cycle completed, now I get pause, two reds, pause. Is this an issue? The cart battery level indicator always shows fully charged and mileage is getting better with each charge.

Thanks in advance!

Bill

hi

if your charger are from 2005
2 flash = battery voltage to low

if they change charger an it 2007 and later
2 flash = battery voltage out of range,to high or to low

to high normally means batteries full charge and charger stopped

maybe the charger will charge longer time but your batteries are so good,so it will stop before that timer

think,not a problem you will soon see the green light again :wink:

Thanks, if I understand correctly I have nothing to be concerned about?

[QUOTE=Gem e2;13154]hi

if your charger are from 2005
2 flash = battery voltage to low

if they change charger an it 2007 and later
2 flash = battery voltage out of range,to high or to low

to high normally means batteries full charge and charger stopped

maybe the charger will charge longer time but your batteries are so good,so it will stop before that timer

think,not a problem you will soon see the green light again ;)[/QUOTE]

hi USCG… I have an '05 and just put new batteries in mine… I plug my car in after each trip… as long as you see two yellow lights when you plug the charger in… one at the top and the other moves to the bottom… actually the charger sits upsidedown… not sure why… anyway as the batteries charge the bottom light moves up… when fully charged you should see a green and yellow light… if you see a red light you have a charger problem…

Bob

Hello,

I also have a 2005 e4 and wanted to ask how your parking brake operates? Can you pull up on the parking brake to engage it and still put the car in drive mode and move forward? Most gem cars will not operate with the brake on and will throw an error code however my 2005 and another member here with a 2005 will run with brake on.

Thanks,
Brad

Yes, I can drive with the parking brake on…done that a couple of times, now I am constantly checking to ensure it is off.

when I got my 05… the e-brake often didn’t relese all the way… blew a wheel cylinder… it would roll with the brake on… I have since replaced all my brakes… lines and hoses… I also lubed all the cables from the hand brake to both rear wheels… if hand brake is on my car doesn’t move

Bob

WOW! You are now the 3rd person I’ve talked to with a 2005 e4 that the car will drive with the parking brake on!! That is really a big problem. I wish someone could help us figure out the problem. I know it’s not a micro switch problem on my car because when I take the key out I get a beep until I pull up the parking brake.

There’s something fishy about the parking brakes on '05’s for sure.

Brad

I get the beep also if I turn the key off and have not set the brake.

Regards,

Bill

[QUOTE=gem4me;13241]WOW! You are now the 3rd person I’ve talked to with a 2005 e4 that the car will drive with the parking brake on!! That is really a big problem. I wish someone could help us figure out the problem. I know it’s not a micro switch problem on my car because when I take the key out I get a beep until I pull up the parking brake.

There’s something fishy about the parking brakes on '05’s for sure.

Brad[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=USCGRetired;13242]I get the beep also if I turn the key off and have not set the brake.

Regards,

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bill it sounds like our cars are both wired / programmed incorrectly with regards to the parking brake. With the brake on, the car should not drive when the pedal is pressed and it should also give an error code on the display. Our cars are doing neither.

Brad

hmmmm… if I take the key out and don’t have the brake set the car rolls… no beep… the thing we learn here… I’m off to do a motor switch today… back to learning how to drive my GEM after that… and go a little faster… I think

Bob

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13244]hmmmm… if I take the key out and don’t have the brake set the car rolls… no beep… the thing we learn here… I’m off to do a motor switch today… back to learning how to drive my GEM after that… and go a little faster… I think

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob you might have a bad PBrake micro switch if you [U]don’t[/U] get a beep after taking the key out and leaving the brake off. Setting the PB with the key out should then stop the beep.

I put a new 7.5HP motor from Ride 4 Fun in and I LOVE it. Faster and no sluggish performance after 30+ min of continuous use like I got with the factory 5.0HP motor.

Brad

thanks Brad… I remember the golf cart that took off on the NFL team because they probably had the same problem… pulling on the brake is second nature to me and I also check that it is totally off when driving… no one else drives my car and I’ll fix it before I sell it… for now I’m done fixing anything to do with brakes… both my shop and the GEM dealers who I bought parts from are a lot richer than I am…
I have gone the route of a Hoss motor… the 9.6hp from Marlon… think I’ll be able to run with the big dogs or run away from them… a law maker here changed the law allowing LSVs to drive on 40mph streets… while holding the speed at 25mph… I only drive one of those streets… from my gym to a cross street… there is a light at the gym intersection and if I’m first in line I come up about a block short befor the thundering heard of cars catches me… I’m affraid the one behind me doesn’t realize that I’m only going 27mph and will run over me… think if I can get a burst of 32-35mph I can make it to my turn a little more safely…

Bob

BTW… kids I am now the magic 70… so don’t pick on the ‘old guy’

Bob

Interesting, new bigger motors for more speed, I want more range, where I live the 25mph limit works out ok. How do the new motors impact your range?

Thanks,

Bill

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13246]thanks Brad… I remember the golf cart that took off on the NFL team because they probably had the same problem… pulling on the brake is second nature to me and I also check that it is totally off when driving… no one else drives my car and I’ll fix it before I sell it… for now I’m done fixing anything to do with brakes… both my shop and the GEM dealers who I bought parts from are a lot richer than I am…
I have gone the route of a Hoss motor… the 9.6hp from Marlon… think I’ll be able to run with the big dogs or run away from them… a law maker here changed the law allowing LSVs to drive on 40mph streets… while holding the speed at 25mph… I only drive one of those streets… from my gym to a cross street… there is a light at the gym intersection and if I’m first in line I come up about a block short befor the thundering heard of cars catches me… I’m affraid the one behind me doesn’t realize that I’m only going 27mph and will run over me… think if I can get a burst of 32-35mph I can make it to my turn a little more safely…

Bob[/QUOTE]

Marlon is a good guy. I’m eager to hear how you like the 9.6hp and how your batteries perform with the big motor.

Brad

Bill… I agree most of the streets I drive on are 30mph… I have 185/65/R14’s on my car and can maintain 27mph… I have gotten 20 miles to a charge and have still had 2 green bars showing… I do have the hills that come with living in Denver and uphills are pure drain on the battery… most of my rides are really no more than 15 miles…
I installed a Battsix (BATTSIX.COM) monitor and can see what the pack is doing and if I have a battery that is not keeping up with the others… I also have bought the program to change the controller but it’s over my head how to use it… my computer savvy son is coming in on Monday and he’ll go thru that with me… I may have put the cart before the horse on the big motor as the controller adjustments may have made the 5hp motor do what I need to do… but had an extra buck and it was my birthday…

Brad I will keep you and everyone in the loop on the motor change… it’s only supposed to take a half hour to do but my guys can make that a all day choir… :slight_smile: hope to be on the road before 4pm…

Bob

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13251]Bill… I agree most of the streets I drive on are 30mph… I have 185/65/R14’s on my car and can maintain 27mph… I have gotten 20 miles to a charge and have still had 2 green bars showing… I do have the hills that come with living in Denver and uphills are pure drain on the battery… most of my rides are really no more than 15 miles…
I installed a Battsix (BATTSIX.COM) monitor and can see what the pack is doing and if I have a battery that is not keeping up with the others… I also have bought the program to change the controller but it’s over my head how to use it… my computer savvy son is coming in on Monday and he’ll go thru that with me… I may have put the cart before the horse on the big motor as the controller adjustments may have made the 5hp motor do what I need to do… but had an extra buck and it was my birthday…

Brad I will keep you and everyone in the loop on the motor change… it’s only supposed to take a half hour to do but my guys can make that a all day choir… :slight_smile: hope to be on the road before 4pm…

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob I bought the Battsix monitor too!

Brad

update on my 9.6 motor…it is sooooooooooo cool… first the sound is different… second I have lost the motor retard and can coast forever on a hill… no lack of power… need to get into the controller and get my spedometer back… just step on the gas and the car starts off… not spinning the tires… in a long block it was up to 38… fast enough for me… I let the mechanic take it for a pass and he said the same… I have a hill that I used to start from the bottom on at 27 and be at 23 at the top… now hit it at 36 and was at 34 at the top… went 5 miles and had used 4 bars… didn’t drive the car yesterday and I lose some charge on non drive days… I’ll take it out and not put the foot down tomorrow and give it a test… meanwhile I’ll try to lessen the grin I have

Bob

[QUOTE=eS GEM Colo;13255]update on my 9.6 motor…it is sooooooooooo cool… first the sound is different… second I have lost the motor retard and can coast forever on a hill… no lack of power… need to get into the controller and get my spedometer back… just step on the gas and the car starts off… not spinning the tires… in a long block it was up to 38… fast enough for me… I let the mechanic take it for a pass and he said the same… I have a hill that I used to start from the bottom on at 27 and be at 23 at the top… now hit it at 36 and was at 34 at the top… went 5 miles and had used 4 bars… didn’t drive the car yesterday and I lose some charge on non drive days… I’ll take it out and not put the foot down tomorrow and give it a test… meanwhile I’ll try to lessen the grin I have

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bill the speed you’re getting is really impressive!! When I changed to a 7.5hp motor my speedometer starting reading 1/2 actual speed plus the odometer shows 1/2 the actual miles traveled. I don’t think there is a solution for this after a motor upgrade. If you find one please let me know.

Brad