2002 gem vin

I’m looking at a 2002 GEM car with 365 hours on it. Is there a site I can go to that will give me a breakdown of the VIN number?

The VIN is 5ASAK27492F030144.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

What information are you hoping to get from the VIN?
You can check it here > [B]http://www.decodethis.com/[/B]
but they don’t vary much from one to another in the same model year.

hi tin cup… I can help you with the numbers up to the F… the numbers after the F seem to be locked in a vault at GEM or maybe your local dealer or my dealer *… I’ll post the key to the first numbers when I get to my other computer…

*call Lee at Beck Chrysler… he is a good guy… knows GEMs well and is at a toll free number… Gem Car Parts Direct | The Nations #1 Source for Gem Car Parts

Bob

The VIN is 5ASAK27492F030144.

positions 1,2,3 is the WMI number assigned by SAE

postion 4 is the assembly Line Number

position 5 is the Series if Car
J= Short back
K= Longback (includes XD)
G= Passenger Vehicle

position 6 Passenger verison
2= two passenger
4= four passenger
6= six passenger

position 7 is Voltage
3= 36 volt
4= 48 volt
7= 72 volt

position 8 is Type of Restraint
4= inertia reel belt

position 9 is Check Digit
number generated through mathematic formula

position 10 Model year
W=1998
X=1999
Y=2000
1=2001
2=2002
3=2003
this was changed in 2010 and I’m not sure how

position 11 is Plant number
F= Fargo. ND
M= Romorantin France

the last six numbers have meaning… I can only tell you they might relate to color… size of rear window and doors… can’t think of anything else… I know that I have been asked for those numbers a couple of times… the last was for the soft framed doors… I know the key has a number on it mine is 077 I don’t see that in the VIN… if you need more info call the parts guy at your dealer or Lee at Beck they can tell you more… maybe… I couldn’t get any info from customer service when I called

my car is an short back… 2 passenger 72volt inertia thing '05 made in Fargo and VIN is 5ASAJ27485F038565

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. The one I’m looking at has no doors, it’s got a stake bed and it’s a 2 passenger.

Thanks for your time.

Paul

good luck in getting your GEM… I really like the short bed GEM that I have… if you need anything slse let us know… we are all here to help

Bob

Thanks for all the information, I bought it and will pick it up tomorrow. It’s in very good shape with only 365 hours. It’s the long bed version and the only thing missing is the original charging cord. The previous owner used an extension cord. I’m going to make up a cord using 10/2 wire, unless someone has an original spare laying around he wants to sell.

Paul

I use a good, short extension cord on mine with no issues. You can also still buy the OEM cable from GEM if you like.

F. GFCI CORD WITH BAG
Factory recommended, 14 gauge, 25 ft. extension cord equipped
with a GFCI protector ensures you are using the right cord for
your GEM car. Convenient storage bag included .
Part Number - 0106-02438
Fits Model Year(s) - 1998-Current

Congrats… I went to ACE Hardware and bought a 14 gauge cord… plus I carry the one that came with the car in case I need to plug in somewhere as I travel…

Paul I bought a heavy gray plastic/rubber box at Walmart think it’s a 64 gallon… about 3.5 ft x 2ft x tall… has a lid a couple of holes in the handles the I ran bungie cords to the frame… works great for carring all kinds of stuff as there is not a lot of places to store things in the cab and the glove box isn’t big… also with no doors you’ll find the wind will blow around… where are you?

Bob

Bob,

I’m located in Niland, CA., we spend most of our time at “Slab City” 4 miles east of town, we’re full time RVers. The fact that it has no doors is a plus for us, we’re in the desert and the breeze is a good thing :cool:

I’ll make a cord out of some 12 gauge wire I have and keep it with the car.

Paul