2002 Gem died, Bad Motor?

GE Sentry software.
Make sure you get the proper database control file for the controller you are using.

Yes. MM = MagicMagnet
The MM is not a workaround to reprogramming the controller. It will not make your GEM perform better. The only thing it will do is interrupt the motor rpm pulses so that the controller thinks you are going slower than you actually are. It will allow you to side step the maximum speed limit in the controller. That’s it.

With a programmer, you can tweak things like the motor field parameters, regen, and raise the speed limit on some controllers etc. The motor parameters can actually get you more speed. Some controllers require both the MM and a programmer as the max speed is hardcoded. The T1 and T2 (used from 00-04), however, do not as they have an editable parameter called “Max overspeed” this is the speed governor, so the MM is not needed for them.

Rodney’s your man.
@Old_Houseboater

2002 Gem died, Bad Motor? - #9 by Old_Houseboater

I just contacted D&D. Apparently they state they do not have any motor that will go or is rated over 25mph. I asked if the one that Ride 4 Fun sells is theirs, but they did not confirm. They stated if i wanted to go over 25 then i should contact them.

So now i am confused. Is D&D not wanting to state their motors can go over 25 for liability reasons. But then why is R4F saying their motors have been upgraded and engineered for higher speeds and heat?

Something is not making sense…

I service all GEM motors. contact me by Email, rodneyadiehl@aol.com

We as, user of motors, exceed the manufactures 25MPH specifications. My cart does 40 MPH If the motor burns up it’s my problem. there is no warranty.

their motors are rated for a certain power output and RPM so MPH has nothing to do with them. If you put enough gears behind the 5HP motor, streamline the crap out of the body and get onto the salt flats you can probably hit 100MPH and not exceed 5000 RPM.

Now if you want to push this motor beyond its spec’s and for short bursts you likely can get away with it and still have a functioning motor on the way back down the hill. And what a vendor says to sell their product might or might not be connected to reality.

they state they do not have any motor that will go or is rated over 25mph.

I also thought this was a odd statement. Typical of a factory rep. I guess all those NASCAR guys need to slow it down a couple notches too?

Or push it off @JarJarJava 's cliff.

2 Likes

If you talk to R$F long enough, they will claim to have invented the NEV, performance GEMs, and electricity.

2 Likes

Should I say it again?

1 Like

D&d got sued because a guy got killed in his golf cat that had been modified to go faster. They will not recommend anyone to go over 25mph.

1 Like

I have a used Ride 4 fun 7.5 hp motor. Serviced by oldhouseboater. $500

@jonbbrew I’d do that… @LithiumGods would probably program your controller for you too

I’d take that motor, if still available. If you can reprogram a T2 controller as well, I’m interested.

"It is available and I can reprogram your controller. Leaving for Europe Thursday so not enough time to get your controller to me and done. I can ship motor before I leave and do controller when I get back if that works.

02 will need a short motor.
@Nato - Where are you located?

I’m in Newport Beach, Ca

Will the R4F 7.5 not fit?

Here’s a r4f motor in a 2000. It’s tight but fits. I’ve put one in a 2002 as well.

Have an R4F blue motor in our 2001 and there’s some added pieces on upper shock mount (2 flat pieces of 1/4” aluminum plate) that push the shock out about an inch. Easy to fabricate, happy to send an image if of interest.

I’m thinking it might depend on the year the blue motor was built, or different model GEMs from the 00-04 range have different clearances.

No shock tower mods needed on my 02 longback (truck model - eventually renamed the eL series) for a blue motor. plenty of cleararance.

should fit fine, it is what they were developed for.

1 Like