2002 Gem died, Bad Motor?

Hi Nato,

I also have a 02 Gem 4 seater. Can you tell me how you went about the recall on the converter. I not sure the one I have has had the recall done to it.

Thanks
Richard

Next time you are under your dash look over to the pass side for a bunch of wires in a collection point. If they all go to a pc board or a silver box then you have the old wiring. The silver box is sometimes considered an update by some dealers but it really isnā€™t.

If you have the update you will have a relay, a square solid state timer and a black finned box marked Surepower.

1 Like

Thanks AssyRequired. Iā€™ll look tonight once I get back home.

Regards
Richard

Anyone have a picture(s) of it both ways to compare?

I can post when I get back to my desk

Example - OpenDC converter

PWB - Potted version

Wiring update Installed
SurePower DC Converter

You will also have one of these hanging around.

1 Like

I got mine replaced last year, no charge, by a local cart shop. I went on Polarisā€™ website typed my VIN in and they gave me a list of local shop authorized to do the work. I checked their site now and it looks like vehicles over 15 years old you have to call.

1 Like

Most DC/DC recalls that have not been done by now, have been falsely claimed. People/dealers have entered the VIN as being in for recall but the recall was never done.
Donā€™t know - sell the parts? Not sure of the reason why.
Some like @Nato get a lucky one!

1 Like

Also run the VIN through NTSB.

Some VINs will show recall applied when itā€™s was not due to shady shops. If itā€™s not showing as applied, you might have to hit a few dealers to find one that will do it, but it is still a valid recall.

BTW, there are 3 different recalls on the 00-04 gems.

Jeezā€¦ I wrote that at 1130-ish. Now it posted. I gotta get a different cell providerā€¦ Spotty coverage at the refineryā€¦

1 Like

Howā€™s the new job going? Blow anything up lately?

Iā€™m fucking loving it. Itā€™s an awesome place, we have a damn good team and a boss thatā€™s all aces. And thatā€™s not just a first impression, Iā€™ve actually known my manager for about 5 years now, we were at different companies but weā€™ve shared many beers and traded many BBQ recipes and shop talk. Couldnā€™t really ask for much more.

Nothing like walking in to a 350HP extruder thatā€™s trying to rip itself and the gearbox off the bedplate. Four, even six at times of us on it and 4-5 days later itā€™s repaired, back on line and better than itā€™s been in probably a couple decades.

Most fun Iā€™ve had for a first week ever

2 Likes