2002 e825 - Zivan stopped working

It seems if it’s not one thing then it is another. It was hot yesterday( 85 at the coast is hot ) and instead of waiting until the evening to charge, I decided to give a charge during the day and when I went to unplug it in the early evening there was no green dash LED showing and no fan sounds.

Today i verified 120VAC on the plug, 120VAC on the socket lugs and wires seemed tight. I measured 84VDC on the Zivan terminals and reseated all plugs.

This afternoon I will pull the charge socket and directly check the 120VAC input and if A-OK then I will remove the Zivan and open it up to see if the internal fuse is still good.

Maybe time for a new charger…

If you need a new charger . I have a re-manufactured fro flight systems Zivan . Still in the box . $225 (guys on ebay sale remans for $400)

and a used Deltaq $200 if you want to upgrade .

1 Like

Thanks, will let you know in the next day or so after I’ve had a chance to open it up.

I have the Zivan out(!##@@ bottom two bolts!) and the large white 500V/16A fuse is ok.
The fuse at the AC input appears to be open but I can’t get it out yet. It’s open from L lug to the exposed top end of the fuse.

UPDATE: first(AC input) fuse is blown. It’s a small 500V/16A fuse pn 7006563
Looking for specs and replacement part.

dimensions: 6.3mm x 32.0mm
possibly slow-blow/time lag as this part/number is very close:
SIBA Ceramic Tube Time-Lag Cylindrical Fuse 7006565 16A T16A H500V

UPDATE:
The Line in lug looks oxidized and the bottom of the fuse holder also oxidized. I suspect this was a point of heating when charging and I normally charge in the evening except for the other day when it was 85 degF outside and I went for a top-off. The heat from oxization and heat from charge current probably combined to open the fuse. I found some of the plastic holder inside the fuse holder melted to the bottom of the fuse.

There is also lots of oxidization on the circuit board but all circuit traces look in-tact. Rust on the resistors in the heatsink tunnel look interesting and might cause a failure at some point.

While I believe I can clean these oxidization points and get back to charging, I’m wondering what would be returned if it were sent in for rebuilding. ie do they replace the PCA(circuit assembly) or do they just give a good cleaning, retin and ship it back with firmware updates. It could fail from something else than a hot fuse and if it does, will it cause the lithium batteries to be destroyed. Having a BMS with AC power cut-off capabilities are probably a good idea…

1 Like

Pictures

1 Like

I removed the fuse holder and hacked on a temporary fuse holder( 15A automotive type fuse ) and the charger still works. The fuse holder also deformed at the bottom so it had to be pulled to test.

I will be looking for a way to replace that fuse holder. This looks like the part:
https://www.newark.com/schurter/0031-3822/fuse-holder-6-3-x-32mm-pcb-mount/dp/23B4840?MER=bn_level5_5NP_EngagementRecSingleItem_4

Anyone know where I can get one of those Zivan 250V/16A AC line fuses? I’ve seen lots of fast blow fuses but have not found any ceramic slow blow.

Yes, it looks like I will need a new charger for my 2002 Gem 835. Do you still have this?

sold. dont know where to get one

My Zivan charger on 2002 GEM also has a blown input fuse, but doesn’t look like the one in this thread, but rather as shown below.

I am a rookie on this topic, and wonder if anyone can advise on removal and replacement, as well as sources of the part.

I already have replaced the other large fuse in the charger, but fear I may be needing to replace the charger. Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable replacement if I need to?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Doug

Did you ever resolve your issue regarding the Zivan input fuse? I have a similar problem.

Any help is appreciated.

My Zivan charger on 2002 GEM also has a blown input fuse, but doesn’t look like the one in this thread, but rather as shown below.

I am a rookie on this topic, and wonder if anyone can advise on removal and replacement, as well as sources of the part.

I already have replaced the other large fuse in the charger, but fear I may be needing to replace the charger. Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable replacement if I need to?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Did you check to see if that fuse is actually blown?
Do you think you can desolder and get that fuse off of there?
Try the long lead first. It kinda looks like it might be holding the fuse with end caps. Either that or the whole things is soldered together.

Then you might be able to read what that fuse might be. Guessing it might be around 15a slow blow.

My only problem with that fuse being blown is that they normally don’t blow for no reason, but more due to a larger issue elsewhere in the charger. Inspect the board closely for other signs of damage. You may get lucky.

Is this the same charger you have had issues with before?

I did not find a replacement fuse and didn’t continue since I put in a larger fuse for testing and other parts failed after the fuse so a replacement charger was found. I did drill holes in the case around the fuse and input power to try and keep that corner cooler since I saw heating damage on components in that corner because there’s no airflow there stock.

Yes, I checked the fuse and it is blown.
There is no evidence that I can see of overheating/damage.
The only markings I can see are meaningless to me, and I attempted to photograph them.
I haven’t yet forcefully tried to pull the fuse out of the apparent holder.

there is no fuse holder in any of those pictures. The standard fuse holder was a large plastic holder with a screw off cap. There should be pics and part numbers I posted in these forums when I dealt with it.

Curious why you keep blowing charging fuses? First it was the output fuse which is a huge fuse, and now the input fuse. Something going on external to the charger WHILE it’s charging?

As I mentioned before, once my input fuse blew even replacing the fuse did not correct the failure which caused it. ie the charger was dead.

It is the same charger that blew the other fuse ( but it lasted almost a year before this one blew).

I do fear I will need a replacement charger. Any suggestions (delta q?) , sources?

Thanks to all for your help .

what’s going on which is causing it to blow fuses? Are you doing things with the batteries which would cause this?

I know why mine blew the input fuse and that was because the fan stopped working when I was charging over night and it likely overheated causing a cascading failure.

Nothing unusual was done in charging, same as I have done for the nearly 10 years that I have had the car. I would like to replace the fuse and see if it works. If not, probably time for a new charger.

Sorry about the typos, but a google ad was preventing me from seeing what I was typing until 3 lines were entered?!

Then why not jumper across the fuse and see what happens?

FWIW, to replace the fuse you will have to totally disassemble the charger to get to the solder joints under the PCB with your soldering iron.