2002 DOA in San Diego after pothole hit

Next up is pulling the pins out of the 8pin connector starting with pin #5. If I can cut part of the locking mechanism off, and shave down one side it might fit in the 12pin hole since the only difference for pin connections is that the 8 pin goes like this:
1–2–3–4
5–x–x–x

and the 12 pin configuration for the display is:
1–2–3–4–5–x
x–x–x–x–x–x

Getting pin 5 out also will give me confidence in removing the others and putting them into the 12 pin empty socket. It’s $12 + probably $15 for shipping for the pins and I’d like to add the programming 3pin connector to that 12pin which would mean I would not have to pull the main 23 pin connector to program or monitor.

I have 30VDC on the programmer kit( fat red and B- ) with the FTDI cable plugged in and connected but no comms. Tried WINE under Linux and even booted a Windows98 virtual machine and it seems it’s not enough. GE Sentry 4.07.00e

for documentation purposes, the 12 pin configuration for display AND programming is:
1–2–3–4–5–x
x–x–x–x–11-12 ( rx–tx )

Speedo/Display is functional. I pulled pin 5 from the 2nd row of the original 12 pin connector, cut off the empty 2nd row, cut off the locking clip and put heat shrink on pin 5 termal.

Next Mouser or Digikey order will include the 12 pin connector and I’ll move all the pins to it.

12 pin connector

Did any Pins come with?

nope, those have to be purchased separately and I didn’t.
I’ll be moving the 5 pins from the hacked up 8 pin connector to the 12 pin connector to have a more secure display harness.

A bear to repin. Took me forever to figure it out yesterday after building a harness
I have pins but that won’t help you .

1 Like

I fought getting pin 5 out for about an hour and eventually cut up the connector. That’s when I learned the locking pin is in the larger holes and not the small holes. I ended up having to also cut off the end of the hacked 8 pin connector to get it to work with pin 5 moved next to pin 4. Getting pin 4 out was much easier knowing where the locking clip is. And also knowing you don’t need to preserve the connector housing.

2 Likes