2001 825 E4 Rebuild with Pictures

If you could take a pic of the wires in question I’m sure a bunch of people here could help you out

Posts #3 & #4 in this thread. They have pictures with them. Post #5 could also be answered by someone taking a peak at their car if possible. Thanks in advance.

Well the heart and soul of this little car has arrived, Batteries!! My back hold down bracket was missing so I went to Lowes and bought a solid oak piece of wood and drilled a couple holes. I got the J bolts at an auto parts store and I was in business.

Radio, speakers, back up camera and Voltage meter have arrived. Now I should be able to start moving forward a little faster!

Does anyone respond to questions on this forum? (Im referring to this thread and the number of questions (with pictures) I have asked.) Im beginning to wonder if I am in the right place? I seems as if I am just talking to myself.

This will be my last post on this thread for those reasons. Ill just use the search function and get whatever information is currently available!

Take care all and happy Gemming!

Nebraska; I feel your pain. I’m a member on outher fourms and a reply is much quicker and more often. If you find a more active four please let us know because I to would like to participate in a more active fourm.

As far as your questions

Im pretty sure you found the 12v power supply. It’s a purple looking wire with a femail spade on the end with heat shrink over it also their is a black wire that’s the ground. These were ment to be used as the 12v power supply for Accesories.
A test light will confirm my suspicions

P.S the wire up by your brake fluid Could be a sensor for low brake fluid. I know some gems came with this option. Just my guess

The green wire is not used on any of our four GEMs. The factory schematic calls this "unused YEL/GN, so just ignore it. None of our four GEMs have a brown wire in the front harness near the brake cylinder. The factory schematic does not show a brown wire in the front harness. That wiring connector to the front lights is prone to corrosion. All of ours have been redone with better sealed terminals. Also beware of the connections at the wiper motor, as these also corrode with time.

Daniel

[quote=Nebraska;19991]Up next for review are the headlight and horn wire connections. Does this look correct? The wire that is just cut is throwing me for a loop.

Also the second picture of the brown connection has no home. It is by the brake fluid reservoir.[/quote]

That is the parking brake bracket. Have not seen one that close to the main switch. Usually, the switch is further to the passenger side, while the brake is in the middle. The parking brake mechanisms are prone to wear out and were recalled. GEM has superseded the original SAE thread mechanism 0111-00336 with a metric thread mechanism 0111-02935. This newer number may have changed yet again as Polaris has issued new numbers.

Daniel

likely[quote=Nebraska;19992]This bracket with the hole in it is under the rear seat and by the main disconnect. Was something mounted here at one time?[/quote]

The charge light goes in the instrument pod behind the steering wheel. The other wire is the temperature thermistor which the charger uses to sense temperature in order to provide voltage compensation. The five pin round plug is known as a DIN plug and goes to the battery charger. All this tells me that this GEM was sold with the Italian made Zivan NG1 charger. The picture with the red/green and green wires is actually of the motor controller. The battery charger should be to the right. The red/green wire goes directly to the key switch on the instrument pod. That toggle switch is not original. The red/green wire and green wire should go the battery charger interlock, which prevents driving away with the power cord plugged in. These two wires need to connect to the common and normally closed terminals on the battery charger. This was bypassed for test purposes, or if someone used an off-board charger. The Zivan NG1 manual is easily downloaded from the Zivan web site.

Daniel

[quote=Nebraska;19993]Where do the on board charger LED and other wire mount? The LED has a small grommet but that other black wire is confusing me.

The previous owner removed the onboard charger and bypassed the wires. Could some please tell me which wire mounts where on the actual onboard charger? I see a green and red wire that need a home. If you face the charger there are places to connect two wires on the top left. Which wire goes on the left and right? :o[/quote]

Okay let me apologize… you guys are awesome!! That is some great information there. And thank you again for it!!

Gwest… Great info on the power and ground for accessories. It is key switched controlled and just made my life easier!

Dan… From what I have read that brown plug by the wiper motor is “if” the car came with a schlott charger.

Also that parking brake bracket I was assuming is used only on 2 seaters? My 4 seater has the parking braked between the front seats.

Thank you thank you again! You have all restored my faith in this site! :eek:

Ill update with some pics this weekend, working on stereo system now and have the main bowl painted and installed Dodge Viper Blue.

[quote=Gwest;20393]Nebraska; I feel your pain. I’m a member on outher fourms and a reply is much quicker and more often. If you find a more active four please let us know because I to would like to participate in a more active fourm.

As far as your questions

Im pretty sure you found the 12v power supply. It’s a purple looking wire with a femail spade on the end with heat shrink over it also their is a black wire that’s the ground. These were ment to be used as the 12v power supply for Accesories.
A test light will confirm my suspicions[/quote]

CORRECT and Im glad you mentioned this as that will be my hook up for the stereo and battery pack monitor!

Updated pics of speakers mounted and main Viper Blue bowl back in. The car will be off to a dealer soon for recalls to be done.

Another picture as my ipad will only upload 1 at a time.

That looks great. I can’t wait to get to the point your at. I’m doing all the mechanical items now. Painting all the A-arms and under carriage . Painting the body looks so much funner

I know what you mean. I was going to do the a-arms and such but figured I would get the main body and car operational first. Then enjoy it a bit… and then start with the undercarriage and shocks etc.
The front and rear body pieces are easy enough to remove quickly! Im looking forward to your pictures!

Tell us what did you decide to go with tell us about the Paint & What steps you took to prep the body work.

I have some body panels that the clear is a real problem. Its all flaking off and needs to be removed but you cant strip it like you strip paint on a metal car. I’m in the process of prepping some panels on another car I plan to flip.
That Includes fiberglassing cracks and filling cracks with plastic filer

[quote=Gwest;20517]Tell us what did you decide to go with tell us about the Paint & What steps you took to prep the body work.

I have some body panels that the clear is a real problem. Its all flaking off and needs to be removed but you cant strip it like you strip paint on a metal car. I’m in the process of prepping some panels on another car I plan to flip.
That Includes fiberglassing cracks and filling cracks with plastic filer[/quote]

I went with a 3 part automotive primer, 2 part base and 2 part clear. Sanded with medium grit blocks to clean prep the surface. Sprayed out of automotive spray guns in my home made paint booth.

My front and rear pieces are also having the gel coat peel off. I haven’t yet tacked these as the main tub was not gel coated I do not believe. I will let you know once I start the prep (hopefully this weekend) on the front and rear pieces. If you discover a good process please share as well!

Hey FYI if your interested in new Matt material there is a company called sea deck and they can make you custom colord mats, Or you can just buy the raw material and cut it out yourself, They can even do logos in the mats ect
Photos – Custom Details | SeaDek Marine Products Blog – Swim Platform Pads

there is a GEM front carpet as well… I got mine from GEMcarpartsdirect part # 2634316… I saw one for sale on eBay… haven’t seen them listed anywhere… the eBay listing wanted an arm and a leg for freight… Lee’s price was better all the way around
I’ll send a photo

Bob

Dropped the car off at the local GEM dealer to have any Service letters repaired. New wheels and tires should be here Thursday!!