20 Cell to 24 Cell “high voltage upgrade”

99volts “ Dammmm!

I’m sitting here watching the charger. Fingers crossed it’s gonna kick down and stop and min!

@grantwest
LOL - yea, better go in and set your max voltage per cell to 4.1 - and it’s still charging at 15A, What profile are you using #177? That should shutdown at 99.2ish in my testing.

Yes, they won’t take that for long. 4.2v is too high. Get them balanced.

Typed 15kwh but actually 20% more. 14.4kwh total.

I have not changed my Delta Q profile yet. I’m using the Chargery Charger. I changed the charge finish voltage from 4.1 to 4.0

The charger will over charge the Cells slightly knowing that to get to 4.0v finish voltage the Charger May have to charge to 4.1 and then the Cells will float down and stay at 4.0. I had my finish voltage at 4.1 and that’s why the cells were just starting to see voltages of 4.2

After adjusting the finish voltage down to 4.0 now the charger is kicking down at the end. Example I think the charger will charge this cell to lets say 4.16 and then turn it self off. The battery will “rest” and my real cell voltage will be a solid 4.0

1 Like

So…

What is the cost of a good salvaged Bolt battery pack typically run? I really like the idea of a 75 mile range.

I currently have a Ford TH!NK with supposedly a 30 mile range and a governed top speed of 25 mph. I’d also like to go a bit faster.

Thanks for your detailed posting as well.

Tony

The last one was $7k plus shipping.
A “new” Bolt 12kwh 20s battery module is about $3500 on line. I don’t know of anyone actually buying one.
An easier to find alternative is Volt/Spark.
If you could talk Grant into building you a drop in HV kit, I think he has a lead on one.
The Think is similar to T2 Gem which is limited to a little over 90v.

Look at your motor sensor. Is it a 6p connector?

I know the battery compartment area on a think is a bit more restrictive for a large bolt battery but perhaps a “volt battery” would work well . The think uses A T-2 (like) Ge controller I wonder if pin number one on that controller works just as pin number 1 works on a gem Car’s t-2 controller. The spark pack I would have in mind for his think car I’m not sure anyone’s done a high voltage think before

I have a Ford Think. I installed 3 16s Chevy Spark packs that I reworked to be 3 8s packs. They fit almost perfectly in the center of the battery compartment with plenty of room left over on each side. I keep increasing the voltage and I’m up to 97 volts so far without any problems. Yes pin 1 is the pack voltage wire and I did install one of inwo’s voltage spoofs on that wire which works great and that also has the volt meter on the instrument cluster reading properly which is a great bonus. It shows 2 bars when the pack is around 75 volts and needs charging.

It’s great to know that Thinks can be converterd and what battery packs fit well in them. Thanks for sharing and include some pics.

1 Like

Think%20pack

2 Likes

Now that is a neat looking install.
@grantwest The battery in Fontana has two sets of those. :slight_smile:
6 pcs 16s modules.