20 Cell to 24 Cell “high voltage upgrade”

My 2013 Gem has a 20 cell Chevy Bolt pack.
My voltage is around 86 volts. So the car runs and performes much better then a stock 72 volt gem.

I had the privilege of having a 99 volt Chevy Spark 24cell Battery in this same car and it was awesome. The range was not as great as this 20 cell pack but the performance was great I loved it. So the Spark pack was a hot rod but it was just under what I wanted as far as range. When I dropped in the 20 cell Bolt pack the range was Awesome but I was kinda of missing the performance of the Spark. So this is where I can have the best of both worlds. Adding a 4 extra cells to my existing pack. It started out with splitting a 8 cell pack I bought.

So splitting the pack was easy as you can see.

Now first order of business was to add a 2nd battery terminal to the pack because the other was attaches to the 2nd 4 cell pack.

I got a small piece of copper & made a battery terminal

Once the terminal was on I attached the wires for the BMS, because the copper was so hard to solder to I ended up drilling into the contacts and used ring terminals with a sheet metal screw holding the rings to the terminals

Next step will be to install this pack under the rear spat where the factory FLA battery’s go

1 Like

Wow, you aqre the Bolt/Gem king again.
Now go pick up the new Bolt and Spark battery so you can share the love!

Is that the naked pouch, or is it protected?

Both ends of the pack are protected.

Hey what would happen if you cut or sliced a pack?

Are you done yet?..

LOL : I have to remake a 2 battery cables. And re-run the Chargery Charger cable. So 3 wires and the BMS leads and then install David’s voltage Spoof and bolt it down. And I should be shooting along. Crap that reminds me I wanted to do a timed hill climb o well 2 late :slight_smile:

Some of us have 4" of snow right now and don’t have the space to complete the same project, then you have to go and rub it in by posting pics… :slight_smile:

PS - my four cells will not fix in that back battery compartment, it might fit but it would be really really tight. I am going to have to put a board across the battery compartment and set the pack on the board.

I ended up putting the pack “sideways” in the Center tray the location that just in front of rear tray. It’s over 16inch wide. A few inches wider then the rear tray.

1 Like

Installed and has power, big thank you to David.

24 Cells Reporting in!

The car rocks!

Just put 20+ hilly miles on the car and it’s Awesome. Came back with 3.8v when normaly be 3.7 to 3.6 or lower. It’s got way more punch I would say a 20-30% power boost. It’s not a night and day power boost but it does the trick on our steepest hill here we got a 6 MPH boost and that’s exactley what I needed. Just enough to not be in people’s way so I’m super happy. Big thank you to Dave who helped me when I was stuck

1 Like

Should be a 75 mile battery easy.
As Polaris gets $12k for similar upgrade, I believe you should get $5k to duplicate this for someone. To the best of my knowledge you are the only one who has access to 15kwh gem batteries, and required experience.
3 other Bolt/gems I know of, but no 15kwh available anywhere else in the country.

MikeKc is gonna do the Same 4 cell upgrade. His Gem is tucked away where he can’t get to it, but I’m sure he will get on it soon :slight_smile:

YES HE WILL, Likely this week. Everything is wired up and ready to drop in just need to make some room in the garage to do it.

Dave: so my Orignal Bolt pack is 12Kw, are you saying the 4 extra cells brought the pack up to 16kw?