Chevy lithium batteries for Gem

I ordered some 2015/2016 Chevy batteries.
Plan to make some 15 mile drop-in packages with balancer or bms.
55ah and about $1500.
81 volt nominal 22s
This is what I run in my EL with a 6v spoof.
Includes harness to double or triple range by adding batteries.
Enough to build 2 right away, 4 more as I find parts.

Will program your charger if needed. Stock charger is working fine in my truck.

1 Like

Harvest time

MVC-010FMVC-009F

How many cells are in each of the 6 packs? How are they wired in the pack? I assume from factory they are set a specific way, are you able to easily change the cell configuration via unbolt rebolt jumpers or do you have to cut parts and fabricate pieces?

Thanks,

M@

Between the 6s and 16s is 22s.
Some might say the perfect Gem battery.

About 1/2 finished with first pack. A 55ah 72v for my brothers truck.

It will be a 1 piece module with tested Bluetooth bms and lcd display connected.
Display connected via rj-45. Run a single router type cable to the dash area.
Pictures tomorrow.

This one will have an Anderson connector, making it a 2 wire drop in replacement battery for $1500.

15 mile range in theory.
If someone wants this one, I’ll build another for him

This is one being fabbed for my brothers 72v truck.

MVC-016FMVC-017F

22s 81v 55ah module

Bms done.
Now add a 300a plug and it’s a drop-in battery.
I have the display wired to cat-5. Rj-45s

MVC-002FMVC-001F

16s was a little higher than the 6s.MVC-003F

Set to pull the 16 high cells down to within 20mv when all cells are over 4v.

This system is way too nice to give my brother…

Bluetooth and lcd display.

MVC-009FMVC-010F

Am I seeing this correctly? It looks like you used the bolt that is not connected electrically to create a terminal that allows you to install the BMS in the main current path and easily connect to the car. Basically moving the B- terminal from the bottom right in the pic to the top left via the BMS. If so, that’s a great solution for keeping that connection high and tight.

Exactly, the hybrid Spark/Volt makes a 22s module.
My brother loves it. Only 50ah.
He really likes the display on the dash.
Notice the rj-45 connections to lcd. I have pcbs for that now.

I’m new to this forum and these topics, but fairly familiar with the Volt battery setups. Would you be able to quote me on a 12s, charger, and BMS? It’s going in a 48v golf cart. 2kwh should be plenty. Thanks!

44 volts is a little light for 48 volts. Do you know if cart will run down to 40 volts?

I know other folks have ran a 12s on a 48v cart before. Would there be a way of creating a 13-14s pack? I know the Volt packs are much harder to separate than the Leaf modules.

44v may be fine. My pet peeve is selling them as 48v modules.
Look for a 16s module. Use as much voltage as cart will take.
My brothers 48v works fine on 60 volts.
I have 2016 16s gen2 for $750.

I have a 2011 GEM eL XD with the Max Box (one of the last made by Chrysler). I bought the GEM soon after self-installing a 60 panel 20.1 kWp solar array with Suniva panels and Solar Edge inverters in 2016. It’s funny how having that solar array makes a guy want to start swapping out everything for battery power… Switched to Ego outdoor equipment last spring and just ordered a Robomow Rs630.

I have been reading about various lithium upgrades for the GEM since 2017. I even researched (unsuccessfully) the idea of installing one of my spare 340 watt solar panels on the roof rack of the GEM to trickle charge and possibly qualify the whole system for the 30% solar tax credit. I had looked at the solution offered by the now defunct company Lithium Boost with a bank of chargers paired to individual cells. Then I stumbled upon the idea of utilizing Chevrolet Volt modules with BMS which seems to be a fairly popular approach.

Basically, what I want to install is about 100ah at around 84v. I would plan to use the existing Delta-Q charger with a charging profile change if necessary unless there are big advantages to using something like the Chargery C10325 instead. Some sort of monitoring would definitely be nice with a display and / or a bluetooth connection to an app. I would prefer new or lightly used, tested parts. Perhaps worth noting, I also have a Blue Ride-4-Fun motor to install.

The 22s system system you are showing here that you made for your brother is very interesting to me and you certainly seem to have some experience and expertise in this area. It seems that one might use two of these 55ah systems in parallel to get to the capacity I am looking for. I am not looking to push the performance and voltage to the 24s or 100v range with voltage spoofing like you have also discussed (though it does sound pretty awesome) but this involves a 6v spoof too it seems which I do not really understand yet what that entails. I would seriously consider buying from you (Inwo/David) if you would be willing.

There is also an eBay seller (East Bay EV Conversions that sells and suggests 2x 72v 50ah units in parallel + an additional 12v 100ah in series. I think it would be best with 3x BMS and can probably use the existing DeltaQ charger. Not totally clear on exact details yet but he claims to sell new modified units. Not sure about reputability.

Just seeking the best option and the most informed opinions.

First off, do NOT believe anything you hear from that Ebay seller.:rage:
Ask here first.
Those are 66v batteries and useless in a Gem.

See if you have room for 10 of these.
Some on here have used 5 for 80v 60ah, but I prefer over 100ah.
Stock charger works without reprogramming, as tested by @LithiumGods

If you prefer Volt. I’ll find some for you. @grantwest has a lead on some if you can talk him into it.

If you have deep pockets, the ultimate Gem battery is a 160ah 12kwh Bolt battery.
I have one, but it is not for sale yet.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on the ebay guy… just a weird vibe, requests call on the phone to sell off eBay, short answers to complex questions, etc.

I too am looking for something north of 100ah. I would be delighted to work with you, Dave and purchase through you with the value of your time & experience factored in. What is the most appropriate method to communicate on the details? Not sure I saw a PM function.

The depth of my pockets is as deep as I can justify. A good value tends to deepen the budget within reason. 160ah Bolt may not be ruled out but I was budgeting around 3k for 100ah.

Thanks!

The Bolt is the way to go, if you have the mechanical ability to put it in.
Let me look at my 2008el for space.

This is @grantwest and myself first look at Bolt 12kw battery.