120v Ford Think! Need help powering 12volt accessories

You need power and ground to the relay for it to function. Two terminals should have power RD/BU wires. The GY/WH wire is your ground signal. The relay gets the ground signal from the instrument cluster. Look at page 87 in the electrical section of the manual.

Thank you. You saved the day again. Since the lights and other accessories were functioning before without having to turn the key in the on position I assumed it would be the same once the fuse was put in place. After I put the key in the on position everything works. So its safe to say that the car is becoming more normal now :laughing:

1 Like

Ok. So now I’m in the process of cleaning out the battery bay and everything else that is dirty. Long and behold I finally was able to locate the second DC converter with nothing connected to it. I plugged in the harness for the 12 volt accessories and it worked! Of course this if after I purchase a new one :unamused: So now I have two. How can I put the second to use or should I just wait it out and use it if one fails? I did see there is a cheaper converter under the car which powers the stereo but thinking if I should remove that one and just tap into another 12volt source on the sevcon converter. What are your thoughts?

I would use it for any 12 volt accessories that you or your wife may have you add on like Christmas lights or underneath LED lights. They’re good converters so I would also be inclined to use this instead of a cheap one for the stereo. I added a fuse box that I mounted to the front frame rail so all my addons are fused at the same spot. Works well for me.

Did you measure input voltage going in? I’d be curious if it was (again) running off the original 6 or the full 8 batteries. It depends on where the source is tapped. If on all 8 it’s nice to know that it will survive on 120v. Post that make/model for others to note.

Partly because if on 6 it drains those cells down when using any accessories (or even just sitting there?) differently than the other 4. Monitor this closely and look for signs.

Also- because you might need to plan how to shut the whole car down when you are leaving it for an extended time or working on it for whatever reason.

Any of the above reasons might be why the thing was unplugged. Is there no way of shutting it down?

Thank David. Glad I will be able to keep it and put it to good use. I just have to purchase the 4 pin connector since I only have one. If there was two at one time they may have cut it off because I don’t see it.

@AssyRequired, for the cheap converter I did not measure the voltage. Just following the wires I can see it’s tapped into the main connection points on the 72v system. I will check and get back to you. I am able to shut down the accessories however I have yet to figure out how to shut down the power going to the motor. Im going to call the company who serviced the cart last and see how much they know.

Question for you guys, it seems like an easy task to remove the fron and rear floor board however when reading the manual it looks like I have to drill out the rivets? I am planning on fiberglassing the all of the gray interior on the car but wanted to know if there is a different way to remove those parts. I’m only fiberglassing because I feel it will be easier to clean. Thanks again.

Yes there should be two four pin connectors for both dc/dc converters so they must have removed one. They’re simple to wire. You have 72 volts power and ground going in and 12 volts power and ground coming out.

Drilling out the rivets is simple to do. Use a drill bit about half the size of the rivet head. Once the head comes off just take a punch and tap out the center.

Thank you. So when reinstalling do I need to get more rivets or is there another option?

Yes I bought a bag of 100 aluminum 3/16" x 3/4" big head rivets off of eBay for around $12 and buy a decent rivet gun for around $25. Lots of things are riveted on so you will use these more than once.

Thank you. I will look at ebay.

100 LARGE FLANGE ALUMINUM POP RIVETS 3/16" X 3/4" BIG HEAD STEEL | eBay

Amazon.com: Marson 39000 HP-2 Professional Hand Riveter: Automotive

Thank you. I ended up ordering everything from Amazon

Here is a shot of the light pattern at night on the road. Since they swivel they can be adjusted to one’s liking. But worked good and did not blind incoming traffic.

2 Likes

I wanted to go back to the lithium question as it is over my head right now. I went to EBAY and a vendor is trying to sell me a 48 and 72v chevy volt battery pack. Would this make sense? I really need a battery 101 course to better help me understand so I’m not just buying and not understanding.

Search this forum for info on eBay battery sellers. There are some pretty bad deals there. Be aware.

Thank you. I will search the forum. Any suggestions where to get some in California?

No, I bought LiFePO cells from @Inwo (Dave) on this forum for a couple of GEMs.

Ok. Funny you mentioned to check the forum. The same seller was mentioned :laughing:

Do not buy 72v batteries from eBay.
They will not work in a Gem as They are only 66 volts nominal. Imho