2 thinks

My name Is chris and are looking for some information on the ford think neighbor. I have the chance to purchase 2 vehicles for $800 both have batteries but do not charge as I am told. Do not know much more about them is this a good deal or not? Everything looks to be there. I am checking to see if both have modules are still in the dash but not sure as of now. Any suggestions of things to check before making an offer? Thanks.

Chris, That Price sounds good only if you are aware that they can be challenging to keep running. Controllers, Batteries and chargers can be expensive. But at least you can have the luxury of a parts donor in that second Think…

Thanks for the reply. Actually got them for a little less. Took the batteries out of one of them yesterday all around 6 to 8 volts DEAD! They say motorcraft 12 volt lead acid gel batteries where and what type of batteries would be good to replace with and is there a way to see if the cluster, controller and charger are good before buying all new batteries??

Chris,
I am such a newbie with my Think, I can’t give you that kind of advice… I bought New Trojan Gel Batteries for mine ($1,900. installed) and then made the Mistake of leaving it unplugged for a couple of weeks. Now I am having to recharge each individual Battery because they drained down. Will hope to install a cutoff switch for them next so that won’t happen again…
Good Luck…

UOTE=CCOLLETT;20557]Thanks for the reply. Actually got them for a little less. Took the batteries out of one of them yesterday all around 6 to 8 volts DEAD! They say motorcraft 12 volt lead acid gel batteries where and what type of batteries would be good to replace with and is there a way to see if the cluster, controller and charger are good before buying all new batteries??[/QUOTE]

Wow sounds like you have a short or does the cluster display stay on to drain the batteries? On your cart is the on and off switch up behind the driver seat? And what batteries did you buy my old ones say motorcraft lead acid gel batteries?my carts are 2002 and man they were in there pretty good. Hard to get out without taking apart the back plastic

Chris,
Yes there was a drain on them with the key off apparently. That’s why I am hoping to install a cutoff switch. My Switch Is with the cluster in the dash…

Ed where do you get most of your info at for these things? What year is your car?

Chris,
They only made the Ford Think in 2002. I get all my information from sites like this where people share their experiences and knowledge. There is an Awesome guy named Marlon on this site who is now recovering from a very bad accident that I am hoping will be a help for me later on. He is able to reprogram the Ford Thinks and the Gem cars.

Ed very sorry to hear that I do wish him a full and speedy recovery. I also would like to learn as much as I can and help from anyone who has knowledge on these cars. I have a 94 club car and this seems to be somewhat more difficult to understand . What was the condition of your think also do you have any pictures?

Chris,
Yes, I think that Marlon is on the Road to recovery, Thank God…

My Battery failure came directly from Operator Error. If you leave the Charger unplugged for over 14 days there is a 1mamp draw from the controller that will drain them down to below 50 to 60 volts (72 normal) and then the Battery charger will not work. After reading the Owners manual I found that there is already a disconnect switch under the Seat that will allow the batteries to stay charged while unplugged. Anyway, I finally have the right tools to become educated on my Think so that I can figure out better what needs doing.
I went to ebay online and ordered a Ford think collection of manuals for $15.99 and it has everything…including factory technician manuals. It was sent electronically to my email and then within two days a CD will arrive in the US mail with all 26 files on Monday.
Note the sign in the window of my Think, I didn’t stand a chance…

Ed
That looks real nice and clean. Mine are going to need some cleaning. I think that switch on mine are up top behind the drivers seat. I’m still searching for batteries along with money to buy them. Are you located in zypherhills. I’m over here in Clearwater. Are there anymore of those manuals available?

Chris,
Yes, I should have given you the info, here is the url for those manuals:

Ford Think Neighbor Owner Manual Workshop Service Manuals Extra Info by Email | eBay

The Seller of those manuals has been good to work with and I am happy with the product. I am next door to “The Villages”.

[quote=CCOLLETT;20614]Ed
That looks real nice and clean. Mine are going to need some cleaning. I think that switch on mine are up top behind the drivers seat. I’m still searching for batteries along with money to buy them. Are you located in zypherhills. I’m over here in Clearwater. Are there anymore of those manuals available?[/quote]

Hey Ed. I finally got one of the cars to run today. The car got up to 25 mph top speed. I couldn’t get the blinkers or brake lights to work. The headlights, tail lights, back up lights, license plate light and windshield wiper all work though any ideas on the blinkers, hazards and brake lights? Tried the other cart and could not get anything to work except the horn. I am going to put the cluster from the non working cart into the working cart just to see if it is good. Also I did see the charger was working properly in the cart I couldn’t get anything to work in. Any word on Marlon getting better?

Chris, I have the same problem right now with my lights and I am troubleshooting when I have the time. Maybe a bad ground connection or a loose wire or maybe operator error when I recharged the batteries. I have been through the fuses in the front and the steering wheel connections already.

Hey ed you probably need to take apart the muti function switch. You will have to take apart the plastic that covers the steering column. There is none screw holding it on after taking the two plugs out. You may want to give me a call727-410-7728 I explain in more detail

hi… I was lurking… there are a couple of places on the web to find info/help on the Think cars… actually this forum may have a Ford Think chat area

Ford Th!nk Neighbor NEV forum - Electric Car Forum and Electric Vehicle Community

TH!NK NEIGHBOR FORUM - Index

This trouble prone Ford Th!nk

here is a manual…
Ford Think Owners Manual

Bob

Glad you sent the links to the Think Sites… Had problems with my lights and Found that the DC relay might be my problem. Found a nice diagram which I have attached. Will take it apart and clean and bend the contacts soon hopefully. Horn and flasher works so my 12 volts are there. Noticed that you had wheels and tires from discount tires on your handle. Was that for your Ford Think…? Full of challenges but I still Love it…

[quote=eS GEM Colo;21156]hi… I was lurking… there are a couple of places on the web to find info/help on the Think cars… actually this forum may have a Ford Think chat area

Ford Th!nk Neighbor NEV forum - Electric Car Forum and Electric Vehicle Community

TH!NK NEIGHBOR FORUM - Index

This trouble prone Ford Th!nk

here is a manual…
Ford Think Owners Manual

Bob[/quote]

glad I could be of help… that’s the reason for the forum in my thinking… I have a GEM car because it is still in production… my disclaimer is… I’m a driver… although I drive two electric cars… the GEM and a Prius… I know nothing about electronics… happily I have people who do… have a great day

Bob

Could anyone tell me what size the lug pattern is on a ford think?

Ha Ha, nothing like replying after a year has gone by… Sorry about that. I am also looking for like 13" wheels and tires to do a cheap gear change for more speed and comfort…
Have you found anything?