-11 Error a red herring?

Hi! Long time reader, first poster. :slight_smile: I have a 2002 E2 that I’ve almost completely rebuilt from stem to stern. Lots of rust, pretty awful condition. Well, I’ve got everything put back together. I DID NOT touch the electrical system itself, since that is NOT my expertise, and the electrical system was OK before I tore it apart.

Here’s the issue, when taking it out for a test drive, I’ll hit a bump in the road. You can hear an audible click and see something (a selenoid?) go in and out. Since I am driving and pressing the “gas”, it restarts and then I get a -11 error. After doing a lot of research, I replaced BOTH the emergency brake switch AND the key switch. Didn’t seem to make any difference. Same behavior. I’m at my wit’s end fighting with this little car.

This will be a super cute, really fun ride if I can just get past this error. Ironically enough, electric “stuff” isn’t my forte.

Help! Uncle! Any ideas? I would SO appreciate any advice you might have. Thank you!

Donna

Make sure the brake switch is adjusted to have enough slack before opening. What happens is you hit the bump, the handle moves, opens the switch for a fraction of a second, your foot is still on the throttle, the controller locks out on -11error. Try holding down the handle while driving to see if the problem goes away. The switches must fail often, as all the suppliers sell them. The adjustment procedure takes practice and patience.

Daniel

Oh my GOSH!! Daniel you are a GENIUS!!! I can’t tell you how many hours I have tried to solve this. I’ve traced wires, done all kinds of crazy stuff. Just drove it holding the emergency brake like you suggested, and drove WITHOUT A HITCH!! WOW!!!

So now all I have to do is just adjust the switch. I cannot thank you enough. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, thank you, thank you. I thought I wasn’t ever going to get past this. I owe you!!!

Donna

I had the same issue last week, it was an adjustment to the E brake under the car and I had a little corrosion on the microswitch connections that is on the E brake. This cured my issue. See if that works for you.

Glad I could help