Zivan NG1 fan replaced and now get a sickly beeping. ideas?

It was almost a six months ago I went to charge the Gem and after plugging it in I did not hear the fan blowing so I unplugged it and disconnected the battery pack. I recently tackled both my 12V converter problem and ordered and replaced the Zivan fan( 612NGHH - ebm-papst, Inc. - Axial Fans | Galco Industrial Electronics ) but now I just get a sickly beeping and a yellow/orange LED.

While replacing the fan I also noticed the NTC 10 thermistor looked to have slightly desoldered so I removed it, tested it and soldered it back in place. I don’t know how I didn’t notice the relay it was leaning against had the cover melted but the relay is still operational as seen in this video.

Zivan charger INOP

Does anyone have any ideas? Troubleshooting tips?

Looking at it closer, I see some feedback resistors might have leaked. There are 4 pairs and each pair measure 50 ohm in-circuit and 100 ohm(brown/black/brown) in parallel is 50 ohm so they seem ok.

While I figure out what to do, or how to fix the Zivan, I’ve wired in series 2 42VDC 2A scooter chargers which will take 2 days to charge from 50%( 20S 116Ah Leaf modules ).

Tough to find a simple 4-5A 72V(84V) 20S charger which has adj voltage cuttoff feature since I only want to charge these to 4.0V/cell max.

A deltaq can be programmed to 82v, 4.05/ cell. when charger shuts off they drop back to 4.03v that is where i charge mine.

1 Like

got the cells up to 3.95V before needed to pick up the kid at school and quickly put it back together, minus the Zivan charger, and $%$#$!#@$&)** nothing worked. I had to jump into the diesel truck and do the pick-up. Once back home I found this wire-diagram which shows the key control of the power relay is through the charger so you can’t leave while pulled in I guess. All I needed to do was to jumper the green and red spade connector’ed wires for operation without the charger. Doh.

Hi Dougl

I have a Zivan fan that has been operating intermittently (if it doesn’t come on when I connect the charger, I unplug and wait). [quote=“dougl, post:1, topic:21367, full:true”]
It was almost a six months ago I went to charge the Gem and after plugging it in I did not hear the fan blowing so I unplugged it and disconnected the battery pack. I recently tackled both my 12V converter problem and ordered and replaced the Zivan fan( 612NGHH - ebm-papst, Inc. - Axial Fans | Galco Industrial Electronics ) but now I just get a sickly beeping and a yellow/orange LED.

While replacing the fan I also noticed the NTC 10 thermistor looked to have slightly desoldered so I removed it, tested it and soldered it back in place. I don’t know how I didn’t notice the relay it was leaning against had the cover melted but the relay is still operational as seen in this video.

Zivan charger INOP

Does anyone have any ideas? Troubleshooting tips?

Looking at it closer, I see some feedback resistors might have leaked. There are 4 pairs and each pair measure 50 ohm in-circuit and 100 ohm(brown/black/brown) in parallel is 50 ohm so they seem ok.

[/quote]

week it would not turn on at all so I used your link to purchase a replacement fan (Thank You). Today of course it came on, but I am trying to replace the old fan. I just looked at the fan and it seems to be attached by (at least) 2 screws that I can see between the mounting plate and the circuit board. I was hoping to replace the fan without removing the entire charger- so hard to get to those bolts. If I must remove the charger, are there any other surprises or problems that I should be aware of? Will the mounting plate and circuit board just disassemble and then the screws for the fan will be accessible? Any other suggestions from your experience?

Thanks for your help.
Dennis

wow, that was tough figuring out what was my old message and what was your message. Watch how and why you quote stuff.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been in there but I feel like you have to remove the charger, remove the cover and possibly remove the PCA from the lower plate( half dozen or more plastic clips ). Or maybe you can cut the wires and solder the new wires to the cut ends and heat shrink them.

But I would also drill some holes in the side of the plastic case where the fuse is. IIRC it’s on the side of where the power cable connects to the charger. this is because there’s way too much heat in this area and no cooling so lots of stuff gets really really hot.

Sorry about the weird post, I don’t know how it got so garbled.
Thanks again for getting back to me, the old MML link to the fan was essential, and it turns out that I was able to remove and replace the fan by just removing 2 of the plastic pins and one screw from the circuit board, which created enough room (barely) to get a right angle screw driver onto the two mounting screws. I did cut and splice the wires, and it is working now.
Interestingly, I had to replace the main fuse in the charger last spring.

1 Like