Wrapping My 2016

Craigs List delivers! I found a great deal on this Matt Finish “Gun Metal Grey”. It looks a bit darker then Gems factory “Matt Finish Grey”
Here are some pics of a Factory Matt Grey from gem below

This in not my gem

I already wrapped the roof of my Gem with the dry carbon I think “fingers crossed” the worst part is over. The roof is a “1 BIG piece” and it was my first attempt at wrapping.

I think the front and rear bumper’s are gonna be the Most difficult. But it’s always a lot easier when your posting about how easy it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

1 Like

Cool beats.

And the wrap too.

I spent like a Hr and a half working the front bumper and then I accidentally ripped it. And just like that Junk. O well start over in the morning when I have had a chance to lick my wounds

Face lift gone bad!!!

How much fun is that to peel off at this stage?

G, you nuts for doing this. But it is going to look awesome when done.

I’m gonna try again today. I had everything going against me yesterday.

1. It was Raining
  2. Last time I put the boat away I didn’t put it against the wall so the boat was taking up 1/2 the garage leaving me with little to no room to work.
  3. At one point I Took the bumper off and retire working it on a saw horse (big mistake)
    A few people stoped by to (socialize) And that got me off my game. So today b4 I try again.

I’m pulling the boat out and moving it over
Gonna put the front end on jack stands (to raise the car up so I’m not bent over the entire time)
So now that I have put my game plan in Writing it’s time to make it happen! :slight_smile:

Pulling the freshly installed wrap was not bad. If you can get a hold of it and pull real fast it comes flying off

Ok It’s attack Mode Now

Of topic. Is that 120v plug powered when j1772 is in use ?

I don’t know how that 110v plug in the car could OR would ever be powders when the 220v J1172 plug is in and charging. If it did you would have some serious Back feeing voltage!

The J1172 powers the 30amp charger that feeds directly into the Battery. That 30 amp charger dosent run threw the car like the delta Q does. Example when the delta Q is charging your dash is lit up ect

Going hella slow But I’m getting it

Heat and stretch, heat and stretch… :slight_smile:

Oh ok so you’re running 2 separate chargers,

That makes sense now. I was starting to get worried :laughing:

Im about Finished with the Bumper. I bet I have 6 hrs into it. But I can say that about Hr #5 I started to develop a method. The other wrapping parts I did were not a Learning at all. Simply putting vinyl on flat surfaces is pretty straight forward. But this has some things I guess you just need to figure out on your own.

Example you can start installing and everything is going good for your but you don’t even know but your “painting yourself into a corner” the idea is to do it in sections and don’t let the vinyl bunch up and trap you. If you move forward slowly.

1 Like

4 Likes

That turned out pretty slick!

Looks great Grant.

Your patience and dedication are remarkable and it shows in the results, like you said, flats are one thing, curves and contours are another thing altogether. I would have probably only made it to the end of hour #1, maybe less if I were to have started with the bumper. Actually, not maybe… I can virtually guarantee I would have just gone and shot it with a rattle can, 50/50 if I would bother with peel paint or just used whatever cans I had in my garage

^ hey thanks for the complement. I was thinking when the first attempt failed “how much would a wrap guy charge me?” And that’s when I said to my self I’m not spending any more money on something like a wrap that dose nothing more then “look good” I mean if it gave me more speed or range or something like that I could consider and honestly I thought I’m sure I just did something wrong that made me fail and if I do it differently I can get a better result. And part of me wanted to just learn something new.

Tell you what. Jacking the car up, putting some music on having comfortable shoes on and cool drink near by & closing my garage door to outside distractions was the biggest help. Allowed me to get her done. The doors and rockers and side panels as next. The rear bumper is gonna be the last one and I have a cheat in mind :slight_smile:

I’m curious how durable is the wrap?