Wire sizing

Hello Ev forum!

We’re designing an electric go kart with batteries and capacitors. We’re looking to run 72 volts. Problem is, we’re looking at peaks of 550 amps. I know we won’t be running this high all the time, but i really have no idea as to what an average amperage would be. Does anybody have any information on wire sizes? Also, any well respected documentation would be helpful.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Use big wire. :slight_smile: I would use the same size wire (actually, cable) as the next guy doing a typical conversion to his car. Check New Dawn’s Saturn. To you, acceleration will make or break the kart. Don’t size to handle your average, size to handle your max draw. Kinda like exhaust on a performance ICE. The exhaust only flows as well as its most restrictive point. You would use so little cable that the length and weight of any oversized cable would be negligible. KEEP THE FLOOD GATES OPEN! Sounds like a fun project.

Maybe give Roderick Wilde at www.evparts.com a call. I bet he’d know in an instant.

Cheers

One more thing… DON’T skimp on the quality of cable. The higher the wire strand count the better. Remember, electricity goes along the surface of a wire, NOT through the wire. Therefore, more strands = more surface area. More surface area = more energy flow.

My wire is 2/0 welding cable, and don’t skimp on the lugs get a good quality, take lots of pics and post them as you get going on this progect it sounds fun. The more strands the better, it also makes it more flexablle. I encased the wire in neopream hose too. If you lay it out in the sun it will become easier to handle and I also used baby powder to make it slide into the neopream easier. Also you can heat it up with a torch but you have to be careful not to get it too hot.

[QUOTE=new dawn;485]My wire is 2/0 welding cable, and don’t skimp on the lugs get a good quality, take lots of pics and post them as you get going on this progect it sounds fun. The more strands the better, it also makes it more flexablle. I encased the wire in neopream hose too. If you lay it out in the sun it will become easier to handle and I also used baby powder to make it slide into the neopream easier. Also you can heat it up with a torch but you have to be careful not to get it too hot.[/QUOTE]

wow thats a good idea, I was looking at the store last night at wire and i wasn’t sure on the guage to use, but using welding cable is a great idea. now to find a place that sells it in bulk lol :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=FEUS;492]wow thats a good idea, I was looking at the store last night at wire and i wasn’t sure on the guage to use, but using welding cable is a great idea. now to find a place that sells it in bulk lol :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Hi I got mine on ebay I think it had 1330 strands. I just looked to find the guy’s id and it is coppercableman he has a good product for sale made in the USA and he will label it for you for free. Tell him ypsi3760 sent you to him. it also comes in different colors, I bought two 100 foot rolls for 98.00 each that is only .98 per foot the other guy is selling it for 4.20 per foot right now on ebay. You can also pick it up from EVamerica.com for around 3.00 per foot from Bob Batsun. There is a link on the first page second article in my saturn pages. Good luck on your progect, let me know if you need more help with anything. Bob form Michigan

Thanks for the responces! We are thinking about using 1/0 cable. will this be too small?

1330 strands? weak!! lol here’s the good stuff: 5145 strands for 1/0 http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Kolossus%20Kable .

those websites you gave us are helpful bob! where in MI are you from? I am in the detroit area.l

It depends on the load you will be putting it under amperage wise. I will be putting mine around 400 amps at times. I am in the Ann Arbor area. If you want to check the car out let me know, I am retired on August 1st.

I wrote to the seller of the wire and this is what he said, you have to read fronm the bottom of the page to the top. On my run today I pegged the needle of the amp gauge it goes to 400 amps, so at times I was using more than the 400 amps it is rated for. When I eased off the go pedal I could get it down to 200 amps maintaining my speed. But just a little on the go pedal and it went up fast on consumption. All I know is what Bob told me that I needed 2/0 welding cable. I would get a second opinion on this informatation as buying cable is a major purchase when you consider the cost of lugs and wire and the time and energy installing it, as it is a large component of the car.

Well we rate the cable for 350A @20ft in a car audio environment and that is 12VDC With the higher voltage you’ll have even less loss and running it shorter then our rating. Should work out just fine.

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: To: <Kontact@KnuKonceptz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:38 AM
Subject: Re: 1-0 wire 5145 strand

The longest length will be about 15 feet at 144 volts this is a general question for evforum.net my user name is new dawn there is a guy there that is considering using this wire at theese voltages lengths and amperages.  Thankyou,      Bob 

To:
Subject: Re: 1-0 wire 5145 strand
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:56:08 -0400

What length will you be running and at what voltage?

Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: To: <kontact@knukonceptz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:35 AM
Subject: 1-0 wire 5145 strand

How many amps will this wire withstand? for what period of time? will it take 400 amps for 5 minutes continous? without burning up?

[QUOTE=schembo2000;534]Thanks for the responces! We are thinking about using 1/0 cable. will this be too small?

1330 strands? weak!! lol here’s the good stuff: 5145 strands for 1/0 http://www.knukonceptz.com/productMaster.cfm?category=Kolossus%20Kable .

those websites you gave us are helpful bob! where in MI are you from? I am in the detroit area.l[/QUOTE]

If you’re using it in a kart it should be fine doubled (making 2/0 cable). Just cut two equal lengths for each pos and neg connection. Put the lugs on each end. Then bolt them up with one bolt through two lugs on each end. Twin cables from + and twin from -. You can even get big diameter heat shrink and put it around each pair for a cleaner look.

Cheers

Thanks for the responces again. we are going to be dyno testing the motor to see how many amps it will pull. I’ll let you guys know about the temperature of the wire as well as amps that the motor is pulling.