Which AC electric motor

Which AC or DC electric motor is suitable for charging electric vehicle batteries

Good question. I usually just plug it into the wall, 110v for GEM and 220v for Bolt.

1 Like

Im thinking which motor could i use to charge the batteries while driving I thought batteries require a dc motor

Sorry you have me totally confused when you said you want to charge the batteries while driving are you talking about using a generator to power a battery charger that could charge your batteries via the generator plugged into a battery charger?

Might be referring to regen?

The Perpetual Motion upgrade should work. Connects to the rear wheels and generates power to charge the batteries as you drive. Fully charge once and never need to recharge again.

3 Likes

Alternator charges 12 volt battery in petrol/desel engines im thinking in electric vehicles the rear wheels drive a dc/ac electric motor which charges the electric vehicle batteries. The front wheels are powered by the batteries.

My question is power generated from the rear wheels and stored in the battery, ac is generated from the wheels and converted into dc to recharge the batteries. How much power would a dc motor produce and could the batteries be used to power the electric vehicle. Charging and driving at the sane time

FWIW not being either a physics, mechanical or electrical professional, seems it would cost range to carry the weight and the drag such a system would create for traction.

If you only want 12v for accessories, something similar could be done using a dc generator. I had a bike with a wheel powered generator and light. it was always a noticeable drag when you turned it on.

The answer is yes and no. You could put a charging system on the rear wheels and power the front from the same batteries being recharged. BUT, and that’s a BIG but, you would have to draw so much more power for the front wheels to drag around the generator on the rear wheels, which are trying to slow it down, that it’s of no value/use. Conservation of energy is Newtons law in play here.

Perpetual motion machines do not exist.

So the generator would need to be large to charge the ev batteries what about two generators one each rear wheels

Yes, bigger. Much bigger. 220. 221. Whatever it takes.

The vehicle body would be carbon fibre the only weight would be in the wheels and the batteries.
With two generators powered by the two rear wheels the drag factor should be kept to the minimum.
The ac motor can it not act like a generator. Can a ac motor reverse its energy so the wheel spins and drives the motor which charges the batteries.
Would a forklift truck motor work

Nobody has done that so maybe you can experiment and post in this thread what you find out.

I guess its not been done before
Am I right a Ac motor cannot charge a battery only a dc motor can?

Only a ac motor with a dc converter would

Another question using two dc motors what is the maximum voltage can be generated combined 120 volts each 240volts combined

You need to get AC batteries. Skip the whole converter thingie.

2 Likes

Ac batteries don’t exist i have to use dc ones

What is the smallest physical size ac motor but most powerful on the market

AC induction motor changing the polarity allows clock wise and anti click wise direction what modifications to the motor so the motor contacts charge the ev batteries while the wheel spins the motor to generate the electric. How would a generator motor be different to a AC induction motor?

You know they’re just messing with you! :slight_smile:
Over unity regen is not possible. Before buying or building take a basic physics class.

So an alternator will not charge a 12 volt battery.

What is a motor generator?