When do you expect to see full EV market penetration?

There are some very interesting development in the world of EVs with rumors of new technology, more focus on charging stations and a promise of an affordable EV from Tesla within 4 years. With this in mind when do you expect to see full EV market penetration?

I’m thinking based upon what I’ve seen locally… about 2 years. I see at least one Tesla Model S (different ones as they are different colors) and at least 2-3 Nissan Leaf’s per week.

Correct me if I am wrong but the news flow from the EV market seems to be getting a lot more positive after a difficult start to the year?

oh, i agree, but i dont think it will hit big time until then… when people can fully compare something like a new dodge dart, or consider the electric car for the same price/better performance.

As long as we are moving in the right direction that is the main thing for now :slight_smile:

Absolutely, heck, at this point, if I were in the market for something like a 4 door saloon, I’d get a Tesla Model S any day over the Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Honestly that’s saying something too because I LOVE Audi’s.

One thing I do have issues with though, is that I wish Nissan would come out with a cool looking electric car for their electric car market. My wife hates hatchbacks and refuses to even consider the leaf because of it. I on the other hand love hatchbacks and would drive them all the time (especially if it looked like an Audi Avant) <– see Audi love…

I think over the next few years we will see EV manufacturers listening more to what customers want rather thank giving them what they think they want to see.

If we incorporate this strategy with new EV technology I think the EV market will go from strength to strength.

Agreed. It’s too bad GM didn’t run with the skate board platform that Tesla is basically using… Then you could use the same power train for every vehicle and change out the body to what ever.

i think it will take a time few years to capture the biggest pie in the market share. people are not aware much. but the youth always com up and try to use the latest technologies. so then we have to wail for a longer period.

This will be hard unless sources of gasoline from all over the world dries out. It is hard to face out all the products that come with fueled products. It will be out in the market but it cannot easily dominate it and I am giving the developers a 5-7 year span for it. This will also cover the enhancement of charging facilities like they are gasoline stations.

Polaris, is going to have to address the retail price of parts if they ever expect to make any headway with sales. The gem car replacements are way out of line, along with the pricing of the new vehicle features

I expect to see full or almost full penetration of EVs in the market when they become more affordable for the everyday citizen, meaning in the next 3-5 years, probably closer to 5 years. Most companies are selling hybrids and EVs that are significantly higher in price which leaves most individuals to settle for a regular combustion engine vehicle.

We just need to better battery and charging technology!

From what I’m reading and seeing, I’d say there will be a major increase in electric vehicles in most major world cities within 5 years or so. Next thing will be for qualified mechanics to be available for help and even roadside repairs. Possibly even tow truck drivers that have some abilities with repairs.

Gene,

You have hit the nail on the head, many people forget that there are few mechanics who are qualified to service and repair electric vehicles and this is an issue which the industry needs to address sooner rather than later.

[quote=EvForum;19791]Gene,

You have hit the nail on the head, many people forget that there are few mechanics who are qualified to service and repair electric vehicles and this is an issue which the industry needs to address sooner rather than later.[/quote]
Yea, That seems to be the problem. Small electric scooters are starting to be used here in the Philippines and are quite low cost. I’d like one for my wife but then I realize that the mechanics here are not really skilled with gas bikes etc. So getting an electric bike or car fixed at this time would be unlikely I think.

PS. I got your message… I had several hundred posts before so something went wrong on the changing of the site.

Gene

Well the thing is, most electric vehicles have very simple maintenance and aren’t that different from combustion engine vehicles. If anything they are a lot easier to maintain and fix. The only difference would be the battery but that isn’t really something a tow service guy could fix out on the field if there were to be a problem.

Well I’m sure tempted to try buying one of the scooter bikes just to see how long it will last. There are several places in our area that sells them and at around $400us dollars it might be worth a try.

Hmmm…I wish I could help you out there. I’m not that up to date on the EV Scooter game.

I don’t know much about them either really. There are even some computer shops in local shopping mall here that sell them. I guess eventually I’ll just have to break down and buy one and see if it was worth the $$$.

Hi
welcome to this forum site. This will be hard unless sources of gasoline from all over the world dries out. It is hard to face out all the products that come with fueled products.