What you need to know about Nissan leaf cells

Is that per module or per cell?
Balance only or bms? Active or passive balance?
Display?

Blockquote

dougl

5h

I’m going to purchase 5 new Leaf Gen4 modules and was wondering if anyone else in the San Diego area was interested? As noted here, these are ~15V ~110ahr modules so I will be purchasing 5 of them as a low qty buy. I was told the low qty price would be under $500/module.

These are factory new. I figured anyone reading and posting in this forum might be interested. I’ll also be using a BMS from a guy who was local to SD but now is in Huntington Bch. BMS units bolt onto each module and use a wireless link to the control head. Each unit has 3A balance capabilities from what I’m told and IIRC each module unit is $30. As I build this on the bench I’ll post a thread on it.

Doug

Blockquote

Around $500 per module price( see the picture ). That module has 8 cells with a terminal between each pair and 2 Vsense terminals. I was told the 2 threaded studs on the connector end might not be there. So it’s 2P4S in a module for ~15V 110Ah? I’m not an RC/Lithium guy yet so still learning.

I’m going to be a tester of this BMS so will give more info later when I know more about it. I’ll be connecting it up on a bench first and then put it into a 2002 e825 GEM.

I’ll be looking for info on the charging system soon too. Will be digging through what you guys have already posted. It’s got the stock Zivan charger.

Reason I asked, $30 × 20s better be one heck of a bms.
$30 × 5 modules, is a good price.

Yes, $30 per module for the nodes, and would need one management module. I don’t know that price yet.

Keep me in the loop. I haven’t seen a bms with 4s acquisition boards.
My guess is single cell. Meaning 20pcs.
Is there a name or link to them?

I’ve already seen one of the module BMS boards and it is designed for the Leaf module so it bolts to the single 2P4S module and I will need 5 of them. I’ll now more tomorrow and since nobody has stepped up, it’ll just be my 5.

Will let you know what more I learn about the BMS too.

This is nearest Google found. Wired leaf system though.
Kit_-_WM4_shunt_CMU_cable_USB_7x_LeafMon_smaller_large

$615

I saw one of the prototype module boards and it said ssi-racing but on their website I don’t see any products for sale so this might be a prototype/bleeding edge situation.

@Inwo I looked that up and wow, the cost would add up at $33/ea per 2S cells. The board I saw again on Saturday from SSI-Racing is for one of the Gen4 modules which are 2P4S and I was told they’d be retailing ~$30ea. 5 of them is what I will eventually be working with.

I expect to have a chat with the designer soon.

@Inwo currently the wireless Leaf battery modules are for the 2S modules but I will be mounting 2 each on my Gen 4 modules and get data back to the original designer so he can rev a 4S2P module. He’s also rev’ing the master module with some improved hardware designs for those doing wired connections and also has two CAN buses which are currently used for sniffing.

If I heard him correctly he’s looking at a cost for the system around $25 per battery module. I don’t know how many modules that is priced for as it included the system controller too.

The only way this makes sense to me is for over 32s, which is the limit for low cost bluetooth bms.
@LithiumGods could use these for his 35s lto battery if it goes down to 1.5v. He’s not likely to spend $400 on one though.

The Nissan spec. on those new 2018 modules is 14.6V nominal @ 116.6 A/Hr nominal per module. There were 24 of those double-stacked modules inside of the Leaf pack, 12 with studs and 12 without.

Bob

1 Like

Any one have interest in researching single cell bms acquisition boards, I have 800 or of which to send sample.

1 Like

I’d be interested in one or two to take a look at and learn about their operation.

A small flat rate box is about $7.50.
Or send me a label for an envelope or box. I’ll send you a few.

Will PM you details.

14.6 is starting to look rather low when we are at 3.3v/cell for the lowest of charge voltage. I notice at 72V with the lead acid the performance is diminished quite a bit but it’s also a depleted capacity. Then again, with 116AHr, my typical usage will not even get close to the low discharge rating and maybe will be running in the nominal 3.6V range most of the time. 72V at over 50% capacity might be ok performance and I’m only looking for 30MPH on gentle slopes.

Hoping to stick with 5 modules instead of having to go 5.5.

So, you haven’t got them yet?
Yes, 20s is just above stock performance. 22s perks things up a lot.
Your looking at 5 x $500 for 116ah?
I’m comparing price point to some of the batteries I’ve used.
Volt, Bolt, Spark, LFP.

I have not purchased but have a sample unit to work on the BMS side of things. There might be a biz opportunity with the guy I’m working with on this so I’m fine with not getting the batteries yet and the price was stated to be something below $500 per module. The BMS will likely be free since I’ll be beta testing and working with a software guy to get the system up and running on CAN even if I won’t be using CAN. But I enjoy learning new things so all is good.

And I just sold my previous 2010 ZonE so I now have the battery $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

Just above stock performance is ok since I have a 7.5 hp motor upgrade and the software(I think I purchased from you) to tweak the controller a bit and use the added capacity. But who knows, maybe he’ll give me the sample Gen4 battery for doing all this work or at least I can add it and see how well it works at 22S even though the full module is 4S. Maybe play the game Tesla and Nissan play and go 24S but don’t fully charge it.

Lot’s of us run 24s charged to 98 volts.
Grant went back to 20s from 24s and misses the performance.
@grantwest

1 Like