Upgrading an NEV

I was just curious what exactly it would take to make some of the nicer NEVs road legal, besides speed obviously. I really need to seat at least 5 and would prefer 7. This is a near impossibility within the EV world unless you get a Dymac or Tiger van, but they’re both NEVs. Tiger actually has a nice hybrid one as well:
http://www.tigertruck.com/hybrid/index.html

If you upped the specs so it could go at least 50 mph, what would keep it from being legal? Airbags? I don’t understand how older cars with worse safety specs are allowed on the road while better cars still missing a few pieces compared to new cars aren’t allowed.

Also, does anyone know of a site that deals with upgrading electric vehicles? Different voltages, dc to ac, more batteries, better motors, etc. Thanks.

Many, if not all, of the NEVs are built with significant weight reduction in mind. They are made this way in order to obtain reasonable range and speed without adding a lot of batteries, without using more powerful (but heavier) motors, without adding air bags, and without using heavy structural members in the design. Because of these steps, most NEVs are just not safe at highway speeds.

I don’t exactly mean 70 mph, but more like 50 mph. Doesn’t the Miles NEV actually meet highway standards. And the reason I asked is because Tiger’s van is actually crash tested to safety standards. I don’t want to take one on the interstate, but I would like to be able to get around town without having to watch what streets I’m going on.

In fact, where I live now I couldn’t use one period because the only road out of my housing area is 45 mph.

Do you know of any sites that show instructions on how to upgrade the motor/controller/batteries?

[QUOTE=timwylie;1924]

Do you know of any sites that show instructions on how to upgrade the motor/controller/batteries?[/QUOTE]

Not to rain to much on your parade, but almost everything EV related is custom, do it yourself, figure it out. Almost nothing is a “kit” and no one has done the same car the same way as someone else.

However, if you buy one this forum should be capable enough to help you along with upgrading. It is almost all straight forward.

Keep us updated!

Thanks. I’m actually very aware of the whole electric vehicle market and the fact that no “kits” exist. But other than a few EE circuits classes in college I don’t have an extremely strong grasp on what it would take upgrading from a 72 V DC motor to a more powerful AC one. I appreciate the help and if I start the project I will definitely ask for help then.

Recently though, I’ve been thinking we may just keep two cars. Have the NEV around town and use the gas van for long trips. It’s too bad the ev makers kind of neglect the family vehicles. :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what I have been doing. My NEV is my day-to-day vehicle for shopping and other local errands, and my ICE vehicle is reserved for trips. It is amazing how much my gasoline consumption has dropped.

[QUOTE=timwylie;1911]I was just curious what exactly it would take to make some of the nicer NEVs road legal, besides speed obviously. I really need to seat at least 5 and would prefer 7. This is a near impossibility within the EV world unless you get a Dymac or Tiger van, but they’re both NEVs. Tiger actually has a nice hybrid one as well:
http://www.tigertruck.com/hybrid/index.html

If you upped the specs so it could go at least 50 mph, what would keep it from being legal? Airbags? I don’t understand how older cars with worse safety specs are allowed on the road while better cars still missing a few pieces compared to new cars aren’t allowed.

Also, does anyone know of a site that deals with upgrading electric vehicles? Different voltages, dc to ac, more batteries, better motors, etc. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hello, friend,

Attached please find two models of four-seat e-car we supply, please contact Eva Wu electroautoe-v@hotmail.com for more of the details spec.

[QUOTE=MJWU;2044]Hello, friend,
Attached please find two models of four-seat e-car we supply, please contact Eva Wu electroautoe-v@hotmail.com for more of the details spec.
[/QUOTE]

Don’t you have a website? That’s where most of us want to go to get specifications, photos, and to read FAQs.

[QUOTE=voltsrus;2019]That’s exactly what I have been doing. My NEV is my day-to-day vehicle for shopping and other local errands, and my ICE vehicle is reserved for trips. It is amazing how much my gasoline consumption has dropped.[/QUOTE]
Which NEV do you have?

It is a 2007 Zenn, model 2.22. I love it!!

Also, for the past 2 months the cost of “fuel” (recharging the batteries) has averaged $3 for an average of 360 miles per month!

Bring me your car. I’ll make it do 100 if you want. Anything and everything can be modded. It’s only a matter of time and money. :smiley:

Do you have some more information on the mechanice of the drivetrain and the controller? I don’t know much about that car.

Every NEV I have ever seen or read about are barely safe at 35 to 45 mph. They just don’t have the structure or the safety features for highway speeds.

Safe highway speed EVs are coming, but today’s NEVs are not the way to get there.

If someone wants a highway speed EV right now, there best bet is to convert an existing ICE vehicle.

I did like the picture of the four seater NEV. Is there a website?

[QUOTE=voltsrus;2415]Safe highway speed EVs are coming.[/QUOTE]

You mean comming back? They were already hear. :smiley:

[QUOTE=arb;3317]If you’re talking about a LSV (Like a GEM) it is illegal.[/QUOTE]

EV1 actually

[QUOTE=arb;3317]If you’re talking about a LSV (Like a GEM) it is illegal. Here’s the Chief Lawyer for NHTSA - citing the laws…

IANAL, but I believe that FMVSS only prohibits someone from modifying your NEV for you. The letter you cite . . .

The FMVSSs generally apply to motor vehicles only prior to their first retail sale. However, manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or motor vehicle repair businesses are prohibited from knowingly making inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle that is in compliance with any applicable FMVSS (49 U.S.C. § 30122; “make inoperative” provision).

You can “make inoperative” the speed regulator of your own car, it’s just hard to get a professional mechanic to do it for you. You still might be violating other laws, perhaps including state regulations. As with the tree falling in the forest, if a crime occurs and no one witnesses it, does it break the law? :wink: I suppose if you were caught violating a posted speed limit (in excess of your state’s NEV limit, too), then challenged the ticket in court, a bored local prosecutor might get interested just to break the monotony.

[QUOTE=voltsrus;2053]Don’t you have a website? That’s where most of us want to go to get specifications, photos, and to read FAQs.[/QUOTE]

Ditto! Web site or post info. You know what we want. Mrs Wu.

Is there any reason one couldn’t buy an NEV like the Revolution or Zenn, yank the governor and then register it as a homebuilt car?

I see dune buggies and scooters all the time that are less road worthy.

As long as it has lights, mirrors, horn and seat belts, is there any reason I can’t do this (in Florida).

Yeh, keep your mouth shut about it. :smiley: What they don’t know won’t hurt you.

In regard to the Zenn, more is required than just yanking the controller. As delivered from the factory, it is a 25 MPH neighborhood electric vehicle (NEV). However, the controller can be reprogrammed to get 35 MPH. This involves no change to any of the hardware - just software. If you want more speed than 35 MPH, the motor will most likely not get you that speed - even if the controller is removed (and removing the controller without replacing it with another controller has complicated issues). The short answer for speed faster than 35 MPH is the use of a bigger motor or a change to the gear ratio and/or tire size. It is not a simple task.