My electric car

I have wanted an electric car (NEV) for years now. The laws where I live make it illegal to drive one unless you get an ordinance passed allowing their use. I decided if I wanted this bad enough, I would have to work for it. So, I worked to get the laws changed in the 2 cities I drive in, (I live right on the border between IL and WI). My ZENN has power locks, heater, JVC stereo. I drive it to work and around town for errands and such. It’s a lot of fun to drive, a real attention getter, and I get a lot of looks and questions from curious people. This week the local TV station decided to do a segment on the subject, and I was asked to be interviewed. I put it up on YouTube.

[YT=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rssg8Dd6Ar4[/YT]

Great video, Andy. Thanks for spreading the news about NEVs. It’s amazing to me that so few know anything about them, but your video is helping to improve the situation.

I live pretty close to you, i give you props thats pretty awesome, i’d love to go out and see it some time!

That’s friggin awesome! Nothing like some education to spread the awareness.

Is that correct or did I not understand it? Only 300 EV’s on the road in America ? That would make each one of you “One in a Million”

[QUOTE=andyman58;2595]I have wanted an electric car (NEV) for years now. The laws where I live make it illegal to drive one unless you get an ordinance passed allowing their use. I decided if I wanted this bad enough, I would have to work for it. So, I worked to get the laws changed in the 2 cities I drive in, (I live right on the border between IL and WI). My ZENN has power locks, heater, JVC stereo. I drive it to work and around town for errands and such. It’s a lot of fun to drive, a real attention getter, and I get a lot of looks and questions from curious people. This week the local TV station decided to do a segment on the subject, and I was asked to be interviewed. I put it up on YouTube.

[YT=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rssg8Dd6Ar4[/YT][/QUOTE]

Good job. :slight_smile: Way to work the system and get good exposure for EV’s while your doing it. I can hardly wait for mine. It will look like a regular car but with no tail pipe.:eek:

[QUOTE=arb;3890]Is that correct or did I not understand it? Only 300 EV’s on the road in America ? That would make each one of you “One in a Million”[/QUOTE]

There were approx. 300 ZENNS sold in the U.S. at the time. It’s probably more than that now…

$16k for 25mph? I’ll pass. Literally.

[QUOTE=lazzer408;4045]$16k for 25mph? I’ll pass. Literally.[/QUOTE]

Don’t be too quick to dismiss the Zenn. It can be upgraded to 35 mph. For the 2007 model there are no hardware modifications, just reprogramming the controller with software ($63). The 2008 Zenn can also be upgraded, but I don’t have the details.

As for paying $16,000, that sounds like a ripoff to me. My 2007 Zenn was $13,000, including tax, title, and delivery to my front door from a dealership 80 miles away. Mine has the sun roof, FM/AM/CD radio, and the upgraded Discover batteries. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=lazzer408;4045]$16k for 25mph? I’ll pass. Literally.[/QUOTE]

Fine. They’re not for everyone.:rolleyes:

yea, 25mph may be good for the areas that get grid-locked all the time but not for the slightly more open or rural streets that get closer to 50mph.

Even 35mph @ 13k I’d have to pass as well. These cars (with proper gearing and a decent motor) can go highway speeds. I feel that they are insulting what the electric car can be.

What a rip…

As the old saying goes, use the right tool for the right job. All vehicles need to be used correctly. Improper use of an NEV would include driving them on a freeway or an Interstate (an insane thing to try).

Proper use of NEVs include driving them on city streets to a shopping mall, school, bank, post office, and grocercy store - errands that are very wasteful if done in a big SUV with 4WD and a gas-gulping V-8 engine. Like I said, use the right tool for the right job.

And $13k for an NEV is NOT necessarily a rip off. Like ICE vehicles, you can get ripped off and you can also find a reasonable bargain - it all depends on what vehicle is selected, what options are offered, and the dealer’s integrity.

As for highway speeds, most NEVs are not constructed for that application, and would be unsafe even with proper gearing and a decent motor. Yet NEVs are VERY good when used as intended.

My NEV does the job for me. I seldom go on freeways or Interstate highways, and when I do, I wipe the cobwebs off of my ICE vehicle and use it. Most of the time my NEV is the vehicle of choice, and my gasoline purchases are rare.

Highway capable mass produced EVs are just a year or two away. Hang in there if that is what you want.

[QUOTE=Joe_Oh;4816]yea, 25mph may be good for the areas that get grid-locked all the time but not for the slightly more open or rural streets that get closer to 50mph.

Even 35mph @ 13k I’d have to pass as well. These cars (with proper gearing and a decent motor) can go highway speeds. I feel that they are insulting what the electric car can be.

What a rip…[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=andyman58;4193]Fine. They’re not for everyone.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Its ok, there are still tons of others out there that would love one. Me for one.

What i’d give to have something like that, but i just wish it would go up to 45mph so i could take the main roads to and from work instead of only the back roads. (2 miles isn’t bad though)

[QUOTE=Joe_Oh;4816] I feel that they are insulting what the electric car can be.

What a rip…[/QUOTE]

Well, what electric car do YOU drive? You gotta start somewhere. If it weren’t for the early adopters, there would be no interest at all in electric cars (or any non mainstream technology for that matter). You can wait 3 or 4 years (if ever) for the “real” electric cars to come out. I’m doing something NOW! And, having a lot of fun doing it…:smiley:

Also, as I said before, these cars aren’t for everyone. But, this IS the place for LSV enthusiasts to post, isn’t it? For anyone to come in this part of the forum and say the LSV is insulting or not practical, well that’s what I find insulting…There are thousands of us driving around every day, showing the public the it IS practical to drive this type of vehicle. I think when someone sees me driving around town and ask questions, it makes them curious, sometimes curious enough to research this technology. And that can’t be a bad thing…:wink:

Well said, Andy. As you mentioned, we have to start somewhere.

…and I’m driving a Zenn, answering questions from passersby every day, and enjoying my ride - not to mention that my monthly gasoline purchases have been reduced by more than 70 percent. :smiley:

[QUOTE=andyman58;4874]Well, what electric car do YOU drive? You gotta start somewhere. If it weren’t for the early adopters, there would be no interest at all in electric cars (or any non mainstream technology for that matter). You can wait 3 or 4 years (if ever) for the “real” electric cars to come out. I’m doing something NOW! And, having a lot of fun doing it…:smiley:

Also, as I said before, these cars aren’t for everyone. But, this IS the place for LSV enthusiasts to post, isn’t it? For anyone to come in this part of the forum and say the LSV is insulting or not practical, well that’s what I find insulting…There are thousands of us driving around every day, showing the public the it IS practical to drive this type of vehicle. I think when someone sees me driving around town and ask questions, it makes them curious, sometimes curious enough to research this technology. And that can’t be a bad thing…;)[/QUOTE]

Why not just buy a toyota prius? Gives you average of 45 mpg and could be converted into a plugin as well. I drive one, think it was the best decision I hav ever made. Not to down the Zenn or anything. Want more mpg, get a car that has more mpg or convert it.

[QUOTE=convert2hybrid;5931]Why not just buy a toyota prius? Gives you average of 45 mpg and could be converted into a plugin as well. I drive one, think it was the best decision I hav ever made. Not to down the Zenn or anything. Want more mpg, get a car that has more mpg or convert it.[/QUOTE]

they aren’t that cheap to convert. Out of curiosity… how much did you end up paying for the conversion its self?

NEVs are great little vehicles for around the town trips. You don’t pay a penny for gas and unless you do a lot of driving, you’ll hardly notice any change in your electricity bill.

They are not meant to be full-speed vehicle nor do they profess to replace them. They are great little cars for 2nd vehicle. And slow speed can have advantages . . . wouldn’t you rather let your teen borrow the 25mph car? :wink:

By mid 2008 GEM - Global Electric Motorcars Global Electric Motorcars had produced nearly 40,000 vehicles Internationally and are up over 50,000 already!

It’s great to know that there are over 300 of us out there!

We have had a solar/electric car for about three years, and it’s a different kind of an experience.

It’s not like having another car.

:slight_smile: It’s much more fun than that!