Driving at slow speeds

I just purchased a new neighborhood electric vehicle which has been “tuned” to go at a maximum speed of 42 MPH. This vehicle has not yet been delivered to me, but I have been practicing driving at 25, 35 and 42 MPH in my ICE vehicle.

It seems to be quite safe to drive at 25 mph on residential streets. In fact, that may be too fast during the time when school kids are going to or coming from school.

However, my in-town driving is generally not comfortable unless I am at 30 to 35 mph. On some of the faster city streets on the outskirts of town, even 35 is too slow. However, I have found 42 mph to be very comfortable in this situation and am not bothered too much by impatient drivers.

Speeds beyond 42 mph are not possible with my NEV, so it won’t be going on any freeways. :slight_smile:

thats cool, BUT cops CAN give you tickets for taking a non propper car to higher speeds than 25 mph since it isn’t passed with crash safty tests most likely.

Update to my first post. I’ve had the EV for about a month now. As it turns out, it will NOT go 42 mph. The actual maximum speed is about 35 mph, and that is adequate for my local errands. I like the vehicle, other than the degraded range it offers on cold winter days. It uses lead-acid batteries. I’ll be shopping for lithiums when these die.

thanks for the update! pics!!!

Because of the winter weather I haven’t really had a good opportunity to photograph my Zenn, but here is one anyway.

thank you so much for the pics, and i’m SO jealous :smiley:

Even the extention cord is “go green” =) How about some inside shots? Motor? batteries? electronics?

Does it have a tach?

Let me put it simply. The engine works harder to spin faster. That means that when you downshift and make it spin faster, it will require extra work. The car “wants” to stay in the gears easiest to turn, so unless you give it some more gas, it will not “want” to downshift and once there it will cause decelleration (engine braking).

It’s the same rules that apply to a scooter basically. If you can get like 45mph you might need a special license. Car looks great, though!

Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. - Arthur Miller
xenon lights car grills card shufflers

using electric type vehicle is also good for our environment because it will not produce pollution, and i think it’s also safe to use it because it has speed limit.

You have a nice car, voltsrus!. How i wish i could also have that…lol! Just bear in mind to have a proper street rules to avoid accidents.

Toyota Parts
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.

I really like this electric cars.It’s environmental friendly and it’s a good solution for this traffic problem.

[QUOTE=FEUS;1614]thats cool, BUT cops CAN give you tickets for taking a non propper car to higher speeds than 25 mph since it isn’t passed with crash safty tests most likely.[/QUOTE]IMO No cop is going to have a clue he is looking at an NEV unless he pulls you over for something else and notices it noted on your registration papers. NEVs are supposed to look like the GEMs. :wink:

The reason for slow driving is worry and lack of assurance. A terrified car owner is more likely to drive slowly, since speed gives a feeling of losing control. With all negatives, slow driving is not always bad. Some roadways are restricted to a very low speed limit, usually for reasons.

[QUOTE=voltsrus;1915]Update to my first post. I’ve had the EV for about a month now. As it turns out, it will NOT go 42 mph. The actual maximum speed is about 35 mph, and that is adequate for my local errands. I like the vehicle, other than the degraded range it offers on cold winter days. It uses lead-acid batteries. I’ll be shopping for lithiums when these die.[/QUOTE]When you go shopping for lithium cells, IMO don’t get the smallest you can get away with, but instead get the largest that you can fit in the battery box(es). It will cost more upfront, but the lager pack will be less stressed by the current draw and will have lower voltage sag in cold weather. It’s also very nice not to have a real worry about range with the larger pack. I charge my GEM a couple of times a month when I fell like it, instead of having to just to make the next trip. It’s just a great feeling of freedom to have a range well above your daily needs so charging never becomes a chore or inconvenience. Also try and find out the true voltage limits of your controller and have the new pack voltage just below that. Maximizing the pack voltage will also help pep up performance of you EV.

It’s sounds good that there are still some people who think about the speed and the try to under control the speed this must help them to be a safer driver and others have to follow them for the safety reason.

Your electric car looking nice

Well friving at 25 mph is good and also its safe but the place where i live some time i need to drive at 5 mph or less because of the jam, but when i am on the high way i drive my accent at 110 mph :smiley: