Upgrade for Saft Nife charger in 1999 GEM

Hi,

I recently purchased a 1999 72-volt GEM for a project. I am planning on doing the motor/controller/wheel/charger/battery upgrades. I assumed the car had the Schott battery charger. I was planning on replacing with the Quick Charge Select A Charge SC07220.

However, when I got home and looked I saw there is a Saft Nife charger, which apparently is even older than the Schott charger (see link below). I have attached a couple pictures of the Saft Nife charger. The charger is currently removed from the car.

Anyone familiar with the Saft Nife charger? Can it be replaced/upgraded to the Quick Charge SC07220?

Thanks

EVTrader.com :: View topic - Another battery charging problem

I have found that the 10 amp Quick Charge works just fine. The number to get is the SCOLVT7210. This one has the low voltage override, like those sold by RFF (for more money). It should not be too hard to retrofit.

Daniel

Hi,

The Saft Nife charger I have has three connections, one of them power (picture attached). Not sure what exactly the other two are but appear to be a 8 pin and the other 4 pin. Do you know what type of connections the Quick Charge comes with?

Thanks

Saft Nife appears to still be in business, so you may be able to contact them. If you can get a schematic or user manual, I should be able to figure it out. Can you post the model number? I have never seen one of their chargers as all of our GEMs are newer. The Quick Charge units just have two output terminals. I added an interlock to prevent driving away with the cord plugged in. I believe the Quick Charge is a good unit and very user friendly. RFF has sold over 600 of these with very few issues. Quick Charge product support is also very good.

Daniel

Hi,

The model number is the SMP 7210 123 (can be seen in the picture in first post). I’ve Googled this part but not much information that I could find.

Thanks

Did you find a replacement charger? I just purchased a 1999 GEM and like you I can’t find any information about the SAFT NIFE charger?

That is a tough one to get info on. I believe it was also used in the Bombardier NEV. Maybe you could source one of those? There are repair services out there for your charger but if it were me I would find a new modern compatible charger instead.