Trailer hitch

Ok i going to build me a hitch for my ES…does anyone have a hitch on their ES that they can take a pic of …i have all of the stuff to build one but i need to see how far down the receiver is below the bed…i want to make sure i have room for the tags and also maybe not look too bad from the rear…

I’d like to see how you do it… know you’ll post photos… I found some photos… the hitch on an eS… a chrome receiver on an eS… and the hitch from GEM for 250 dollars… not sure how it would attach… you could always put hinges on the license plate if it hangs below the truck…

a poster on the yahoo site had posted that he’d gone to harbor freight and found all the parts to make the hitch but didn’t say more…

Bob

oops I posted your truck

<blush>

try this… for a truck with the hitch…

I found a seat cover with the GEM logo on it… just received mine and will take photos when I get it on the seat… the seller (Lynn) has all colors even if the color doesn’t show stock

2 Passenger Gem Car Custom Bench Seat Covers Choose A Color | eBay

Thanks for the pics …my only problem was the tag holder…i was thinking it was hoing to be in the way but i may be able to move the tags up alittle. i will get to work on this asap and will post pics…thanks yall…

nosgsxr… how is the hitch going?

Bob

Still working on it…wife has the remodel bug so the gem has been placed on hold till wed…but then back to the projects

How much does the bed overhang the trailing axle? On my E2 I bought a hitch mount receiver from Harbor Freight and welded it to the trailing arm. I use it to haul my honey wagon to the dumper. HF has a pretty big selection of towing accessories and they are cheap. I paid $13 for the one I used.

I used this…

I removed the bolt, turned it upside down and welded it on. It sits just under the fender as mine is slightly lifted to accommodate the 16" wheels. It even has a loop for a rope and such.

I also considered this…

Which may work for a truck version as it is longer.

Brian you welded to the axel

Yes sir. The only other option is to drill and bolt to the aluminum channels under the seat. In the last pic you can see a portion of the “grab” handle on the axle. I cut it off so I could mount the hitch in the center.
This is one you can buy for about $200 as I recall…

thought I might make this work… I’d be afraid of bending the axel

Small Trailer housing

Like your trailer is it from H F as well?

The trailer is from a local trailer dealer nearby, I have had it for a number of years. I only used the GEM to bring it up from the back yard. I use that trailer to haul the Gem to camp duty for the summer.

As far as bending the axle… what do you plan on hauling? I wouldn’t recommend a lot of weight due to wear & tear and the fact that Gem car brakes are minimal at best. I am currently hauling about 300lbs with mine but thats not the weight at the hitch as most is on the wheels of the trailer being towed (much smaller lawn trailer). It would also handle a bicycle rack nicely. You could add a truss to the axle but remember those weak brakes your dealing with. Even if you bought the ready made one which connects to the aluminum frame I wouldn’t haul too much weight.

I am not real familiar of the underside of the truck version GEM, but the ad you linked to would probably work if you cut off some of the excess stuff. You may be able to get the parts new from HF for that money.

I thought a little trailer… have been after my friends at Innovation Motorsports to make a trailer out of a long or short bed GEM as they have some that they have parted out… think a GEM truck with matching bed trailer would be cute… have a friend who goes around picking up shopping carts… that might be another idea… to me it’s like buying a computer when they ask what are you going to do with it… I have a friend with a bike and the bike rack is an option as well… thanks for sharing how you use yours

Bob

ok …well i finaly got started on the hitch …what i did was use 1/4 (overkill) by 4 inch wide flat stock…i dropped the hitch down 10 inches from the top of the frame and it is 16 3/8 wide…on the bottom flat bar i will bolt or weld my receiver to this plate…i drilled four (4) holes at the top of the hitch through the frame of the bed…i aslo put a back strap at about a 45 to give it alittle more support when i hit the brakes or start pulling my Sea Doo up the ramp…then all i will need is to wire in a light plug…i will up load the pics prob tomm…

ok here are some pics of the hitch…i still need to do a little fine tuning…

i will post some more asap

here are a few more…

i need to loosen it up and readjust it a bit but it will be good to go after that…i was going to use a support from the rear of the hitch to the frame but heck im not going to be pulling a house only Sea Doo…

This is the Class 1 Curt Euro trailer hitch we transformed to fit rear of Donna’s little 2007 Gem Car.
When we take the Gem with us traveling in our motor home the spots we typically park in are usually to small to leave the trailer attached to the rig so we have to remove it and park it separately by hand in an out of the way spot. This wasn’t a problem with the all steel plywood floor 5 x8 trailer we used to haul our EZ Go cart with but when we moved up to the Gem Car we were forced to move up to a larger and heavier trailer. In an effort to still be able to move it by hand we purchased an all aluminum trailer which fit the bill but after few short times moving it by hand in an effort to save our backs we came up with the not so simple idea of putting a trailer hitch on the Gem. We looked and couldn’t find a factory or an aftermarket rear hitch that was made to fit it so we ended up making our own.

What brand is that? I need to get one for my truck.