Front hitch installed

I’m still plugging away at upgrading, modifying and making my GEM my own. I’ve done a 4" lift, added a locking truck box to the back instead of the plastic thing that comes with em, car tires, lithium and the list goes on.
Last week I was out mowing some neighborhood lawns and it dawned on me, why on earth am I not using the GEM to shuttle me around so I don’t have to walk all my lawn mowing gear around?
The weed wacker and all its accoutrement fits great in the truck box in the back, but the lawn mower needed a solution. My back told me I wasn’t going to be picking it up any higher than a few inches, so I needed to cobble soemthing together.
I had one of those flat generator, package type trays I bought at a garage sale eons ago that was hitch mount. I think I paid $10 for which is a steal. I then grabbed another one of these golf cart hitch receivers. I have used two of these so far on my GEM and they work great as a starting point. You generally need to cut the width down and of course make your own mounting holes.
My front one is bolted to the subframe just below the motor. I also used a hitch tighenter to remove some of the slop and rattle when driving.

It turned out great and I was able to knock it all out in an afternoon.
If I need to carry bikes I can slide in my bike hitch instead of the package tray.

Man I love these little cars.

1 Like

Great idea let’s see it all loaded up with your stuff

1 Like

I welded a bike rack onto the platform this weekend on a whim. I didn’t want to have to swap hitch accessories all the time.
Here is a pic of her with the Sunday load. Mower and a weed wacker fit up front perfectly and I can throw bikes up there when I need to on the weekdays.

I still have some panel gaps to adjust and need to paint the trunk but she is coming along.

Man I hate those faded seatbelts and seats.

Why on the front of the car, not the rear?

The rear doesn’t really have a good place to mount it very low without mounting it directly to the suspension. I wanted it low so I wouldn’t have to lift the lawn mower up.
I did put a hitch in the rear, but it is mounted high and attached directly to the aluminum frame. I use it for the truck box.

Maybe if I am feeling sassy I’ll cobble together a snow plow this winter and the front hitch will be an easy way to mount it.

That’s cool thanks for the pic

1 Like

Vinyl dye, www.youtube.com/watch?v=NORfPpHqNKg

Vinyl dye won’t make crappy feeling seats good. :smile:

I’d rather spend the money I’d spend on dye on some ebay racing seats or some used HOnda seats.

Rear hitch takes away the little traction there is. I’ve been thinking of a front mount plow or blower. The weight on the front might make it work. Needs to be wider than the Gem track though. I have 100yards of straight sidewalk down hill. The wind blows in my face no matter which way I go.
I wonder what the make for a wide snow thrower in low power. Just enough for a few inches of snow.

Two of these? 80v!

Is that a Ryobi?
I bought a bunch of that kit for my lawn mowing side gig and I spend more time recharging than working.
40v 5ah my ass.

Tear that charger apart and hardwire in some car lithium batteries. :smiley:

I’ve given up on the snow plow thought for now. I’d rather just buy a used 4cycle blower and a proper plow for my real truck.