Title replacement from Polaris?

Seen a post somewhere that you can get a title from Polaris for $50 if you buy a GEM that has no title with it. Anyone know anything about that??

Sounds sketchy man.

First off, vehicle title is issued by the state, not the manufacturer.
Second, this sounds like a great way to re-title stolen or salvage vehicles.

Just not making sense the way it’s layed out. Maybe that’s a replacement VIN sticker or something for $50.

Certificate of origin is probably what you’re looking for. Polaris will issue a certificate of origin to the dealer when new. You take that to register it with the state the first time and then get a title.

There are probably a bunch of gems out there that were never registered. You could go the Certificate of Origin route. If the Vin is legible and wasnt reported stolen, even a lost title isn’t a big deal. Worst case you get a title bond for the value of the car.

I used one of those tag shops in SD to register a gem with a lost title and they got it done for me.

Tampered VIN, you’re screwed. Lost paperwork isn’t a problem

This may or may not work. I had a COO for my 2016 GEM and it was worthless. The problem was only a dealer can be the first signer of a COO. Then the dealer assigns it to you at the time of sale. Unless you have a dealer willing to fake a sale to you, the COO does not do much good.
This was in MO. by the way,

I thought it did too . Seen it on a GEM owners blog with no details so I thought I would put it out there. I know that a lot of them are used like golf carts and to avoid taxes and fees they just don’t register them. then the title is not transfured and then lost in the process.

@twg1317 is trying the LLC in Montana route for registration. I’m super curious to see how that works.

Still have to have a title tho I would guess. You Caliguys are just getting out of some taxes ( I ain’t hating) but will still have to have all the documentation.

1 Like