Think Cluster Info

Hi, new to Think.

Im looking to convert mine to AC and lithium without losing the Dash.

My Speed controller is capable to Transmit Speed and BDI (battery discharge indicator) over canbus. most likely I will have to build a translator but wondering what kind of signal does the Think Dashboard uses.

Thanks

Same as t2 im guessing. T1 used ttl level, t2 added rs232.
However both communicated via ttl to handset or dash through the 8p/12p connector.
I think it pre-dates can.
If you dig into it, see what the rj port back of cluster is used for.
@David_Illingworth does it fit the lx handset?

I thought about leaving the oem controller in place for our Gem conversions. Might be the simplest way.
I made a scaler to convert 64ppr encoder pulses to 4ppr hall effect signal.
Adding a 4ppr counter to new motor shaft is easy enough as well.
Soc should work as well.

1 Like

wondering if it would still work or transmit the data without the motor connected.

Easy to wire, since there is no load small Jump from B- and B+ plus the harness

Don’t know why not. Wont take much to try.

I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the cluster functions would work without the controller. The speed sensor signal is sent to both the cluster and controller so I’m willing to bet the speedo/odometer would work, turn signal indicators, back light, backup alarm and charge inhibit icon, Probably the soc and wrench icon wouldn’t work although I’m sure a work around could be figured out for the soc.

You could sell that controller and get good money for it.

2 Likes

So all of these functions are coming from the speed controller too?

I would have guessed that turn signals were just wired from the stalk to one of the pins same with charging, as soon as the interlock is activated it will display that little plug.
I will need to see the data first, will see if I can read it

No, that’s why I believe most functions should work without the controller.