Theoretical Conversion Thoughts

This project is forward looking by 5 to 10 years at this point. I see lots of rumblings about ICE being mandated away in many places, and I know the diesel engine in my vehicle is one I probably won’t be able to find a 1 for 1 replacement for anyway. Add to that, the fact that wind power is nearly ubiquitous where I live, and you have a recipe for functionally unlimited power to drive this particular vehicle.

My current questions mostly revolve around what kind of power rating I’m going to need in an electric motor. I know that the wisest thing to do is to oversize the electric motor slightly, as this will lead to a longer useful life. I’m also suspecting that between the fuel and engine weight I already carry, I should have plenty to spare for an electric motor(or two), battery, and wind turbine.

The current diesel engine puts out about 55 HP. The vehicle’s top speed is currently only about 23 mph, and although I’d be fine with the ability to go up to about 45 mph, the vast majority of my travel in this vehicle is typically limited to 20 mph.

My plan is to make a setup that I can drive for 8 - 12 hours, and recharge overnight with wind power. I’m not sure how feasible that is. I already carry a 2000 watt gasoline generator with this vehicle anyway, which I think could be used to supplement wind power if it becomes strictly necessary. I guess this makes my next question figuring out how big my wind turbine needs to be in order to support that kind of duty cycle.

I can also supplement wind power with solar sometimes, but it’s far less reliable and potent around here.

How big of an electric motor do I need to replace a 55 hp diesel?

My calculations come out to about 55hp.
10hrsx20mph=200 miles at most 500watts per mile (big heavy vehicle)
100kwh battery. A Tesla battery should do nicely.
55hp electric will be pretty doggy in a heavy vehicle. I suspect the diesel is too.
How would you deploy a wind turbine that is carried with you? I’ve not heard of that idea.

You drive a farm tractor?

Not on a daily basis, but yes, performance wise, it’s very similar to a tractor.

My other vehicle is a pickup truck.

The vehicle has a fairly robust roll cage that the turbine would be bolted to, with a mast hinge so that it could be rotated flat and tied down when not in use.

I’m curious to know more about this math. The vehicle’s dry weight is currently just a hair under 3000 lbs. It’s maximum payload capacity is about 2200 lbs, which means it’s maximum operating weight is somewhere just north of 5000 lbs. You mention weight, but I’m not sure how big of a factor it is.

Here’s the powerband I’m working with; though I should point out I don’t fully understand this graph myself yet. I’m also not sure how big of a complication it is to the math of battery sizing, but this vehicle is operated almost exclusively off-road.

Edit2: Looking at this now, it appears I have misquoted the HP.

5000lb tesla is about 300 watts per mile.
I doubt that you could see that efficiency. 500 watts is a place to start.

300 watts is about average for our Tesla’s.
If it is windy or you are dealing with hills you will be in the 310 - 340 range. This is on a Models S and Model 3.
Going down hill with the wind? 230 - 250… LOL