The first step is always the hardest

Hello folks. I am a machinist from Texas and lover of electric vehicles. I am currently in r&d phase for manufacturing an ev. I have tons of mechanical experience and am researching the electrical aspects of a fully electric vehicle. I am looking to start a full sized project vehicle sometime in the next year. I hope to learn lots here as well as help where needed.

cool, any pics or info on it?

Everything that I’ve done so far has been on a small scale, testing controller ideas and regeneration with miniature motors and home made stepper controllers. The hold up for me is that I want to make a very efficient “back up” generator that can help me out if the range isn’t what I am planning. I’ve got a prototype generator built in CAD but we just had a new baby so the part isn’t made yet. As soon as I can get it made, I’ll be more than happy to post pictures of everything.

I was browsing through and saw the Saturn conversion series and really liked watching the conversion take place in pictures. I think documenting your progress really shows how easy it can be to do one of these yourself and really have high hopes that others will see that and follow suit.

let me know if you need anything in CAD i am profecient in 2D and 3D.

Thanks. I’m also a CAD/CAM programmer plus having a machine shop at my disposal should make this whole project go much easier. lol.

What programs do you use?

[QUOTE=hobbes28;1299]Thanks. I’m also a CAD/CAM programmer plus having a machine shop at my disposal should make this whole project go much easier. lol.

What programs do you use?[/QUOTE]

AutoCAD

lucky that you have a machine shop! i REALLY want a C&C (computerized) one SO bad but i cant see spending 20K+ on a personal basis/ only have a 3 car garage so i dont really have the room

Link.

This bad boy runs 25k and doesn’t take up a whole space in the garage. The best part is that you could probably make some parts for people’s car once or twice a month and it would pay for itself.

Our shop has 6 CNC mills and 3 CNC lathes plus some manuals. That’s the only reason I don’t have one in the garage yet.

wow the damage i could do :smiley: :wink: yea definately tempting but i dont have 25K laying arround anywhere lol.

i used to deal with one that had a working area of 5’x12’

that thing was great :smiley: i miss working on it.

you able to give any kind of deals with me sending you files and i pay you for completed parts for the time being? or what?

That’s another one of my problems too. lol

I can make programs off of AutoCAD drawings pretty quickly and can squeeze them in our production schedule and am pretty sure I can work out a sweet deal fer ya. :wink:

[QUOTE=hobbes28;1303]That’s another one of my problems too. lol

I can make programs off of AutoCAD drawings pretty quickly and can squeeze them in our production schedule and am pretty sure I can work out a sweet deal fer ya. ;)[/QUOTE]

sweet!! we need to talk! :smiley:

Hey, I live in dallas and I might need an adapter plate for the transmission. Do you think there is any way you can cad that up for me? It is for a VW Fox… Just bought it today :smiley:

[QUOTE=WeeDubb;1783]Hey, I live in dallas and I might need an adapter plate for the transmission. Do you think there is any way you can cad that up for me? It is for a VW Fox… Just bought it today :D[/QUOTE]

If you can get me a drawing with some dimensions, I would be happy to hook you up.

A very best luck for the new experiment. And I like that even if you are good established in your field then also you want to learn something new. And you try hard for it.