Tesla Roadster - charging system for high voltage

In researching battery and motor combinations, I keep coming back to the Tesla system. I found the following details:

“Battery packs consist of 11 identical groups of 621 lithium-ion cells (called sheets) connected in series and parallel. Each cell is 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm long with a nominal 3.6 V and a 2.2-A/hr rating. Each sheet produces 32.4 V (nominal). One sheet supplies voltage for the car’s accessories, such as lights and power windows. The remaining 10 sheets provide 324 V for the motor.”

I’ve been trying to figure out how they manage the charging system- I can see why they hold this system proprietarily close to heart!

The best motor systems are always going to be high voltage A/C motors w/ variable frequency controls. Does anyone have any ideas on how they charge the Tesla system? It would look like they charge the series/parallel sheets of 32.4 volt cells, but then how do they recombine the 10 sheets together, getting up to 324 volts? I’m sure the owners of the car don’t have to go out and flip switches between run and charge status.

I created a 36 volt NiMH inline 3-wheeler and I use individual intelligent chargers for each battery pack. It’s a fun system and has gone over a 90 miles on a charge, but not fast enough so I’m done with DC motors and low voltage packs.

As far as switching between charging and run, it could be as simple as a couple contactors that are linked to the charge door being open or closed. This would also prevent someone from accidently driving away with the cord in!

Perhaps the secret has to do with the name “Tesla”?

from my memory lithium cells normally have a protection and charging circuit for each cell.

since it is a more advanced car and they were taking their time designing it and putting it together i would immagine the controller is a pertty decent computer that specifically monitors the cells and charge rates so that everything is done evenly and smoothly. it wouldn’t be too hard to add a simple monitoring system between cells or on each cell to make sure everythings doing what it should or even if it needs to send more power to a specific area for charge.