Suzuki swift batteries/racks

ok, I got a 1997 suzuki swift for a donor vehicle ($500 and it still runs!). first step is to decide on 10x12v, 12x12v, or something else. I am leaning toward 12x12v for a little extra zip and range. My target use is less than 25 miles range ‘around town’ with speeds 25-50mph.

I am probably going with a standard 8" ADC motor, curtiss controller package… just have to decide on batteries to finalize design.

given those parameters, does anyone have pre-made racks for this? designs/plans? I do need to retain useable rear seats…

It sounds like you can get the performance requirments you desire with either 10x12 or 12x12. prefer the later of course, if possible.
I don’t know of any ready made racks for this, hopefully someone else will have some good ideas there, but I would think that 5-6 int the rear package area. and 4-5 under the hood should be relativly easy. However, I think it would be best to sink the rear batteries through the floor, to lower the weight, and retain some package area. This would require a decent bit of welding, and fabrication, but would be no big deal for a decent welder, and whipping up the racks while they were at it would be no big deal.
I would be sure to check out Austin EV http://evalbum.austinev.org/type there are several Metros, and Swifts there, perhaps you will get some ideas there, Eric

has any one ever said to he-- with batterys and use a honda ac genorator for the ac power mike

[QUOTE=dtbaker;1535]ok, I got a 1997 suzuki swift for a donor vehicle

does anyone have pre-made racks for this? designs/plans? I do need to retain useable rear seats…[/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure that the Geo Metro was the same car, and Solectria built a bunch of EVs on this platform. If you could get some pictures of that install, it might help.

As I recall, they put 8 batteries in the trunk area, and 4 under the hood.
Very clean install that way.

But the Solectria install used a custom gearbox that left a lot more room under the hood than you might have using the stock transmission. Anyway, that might push you to 10x12 instead of 12x12.

I just finished a Metro conversion. I only used 6 batteries so the range is somewhat limited. I did not have a welder, so bolted all racks in place. You can check out the details at my blog: electricmetro.blogspot.com
Have fun!

I decided on 12x 8v batteries to maximize range and use less expensive charger, controller, dc-dc converter. It was surprising to see how much could be saved changing from 144 or 120v to 96v system.

I am part way thru conversion now, and you can follow progress at http://www.envirokarma.org/ev

[QUOTE=dtbaker;3845]I decided on 12x 8v batteries to maximize range and use less expensive charger, controller, dc-dc converter. It was surprising to see how much could be saved changing from 144 or 120v to 96v system.

I am part way thru conversion now, and you can follow progress at http://www.envirokarma.org/ev[/QUOTE]

conversion was complete March 1… and is performing as expected! amazing really. :wink: range about 40 miles at in-town average speed of 35mph-ish. top speed over 65 mph, and ‘reasonable’ acceleration.

after almost a year of daily driving, and chronic under-watering for the first 6 monthes before I installed a Flow-rite system, the batteries are showing signs of age. I am considering replacing w/ Li as cost/cycle is now less than Lead…

The first generation Swift was introduced in 2000 as a replacement for the Suzuki Cultus. Outside of Japan, the Suzuki Ignis name was widely used. The Ignis was originally manufactured as a five-door hatchback, powered by a new generation of Suzuki straight-four gasoline engines, the M family. Displacement ranged from 1.3 to 1.5 L, and the standard transmission was the usual five-speed manual, with an optional four-speed automatic gearbox. The vehicle is available with either front or four-wheel drive, although the 4WD/auto combination was limited to the Japanese and Australian markets.BMW Accessories