Steering wheels

Has anyone replaced theirs with an aftermarket steering wheel? I’m looking at getting one from a polaris RAZR or one that fits those and was curious about fitment.

Check out Ebay

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25115]Check out Ebay[/quote] yeah but does it require anything special like an adapter?

Some do some don’t. Ask the seller the question. Most sellers are dealers and know the application their wheels will fit.

I replaced my wheel. Most steering wheels have a six bolt pattern. So any real you decide to get with a six bolt pattern will adapt to an adapter that you must buy. The company is called forever sharp. And you need an "Ez go " golf cart adapter. Make sure you get the short one . But bottom line easy go golf carts use the same spline as Gem Car’s . I’ll see if I can find a link to the exact adapter you will need

Here is a link to the forever sharp easy go adapter that you will need to put a steering wheel on your gem. This adapter happens to have a few different bolt patterns so you’re not stuck with the standard six bolt hole pattern

Amazon.com: EZGo Golf Cart 5/6 Bolt Steering Wheel Adapter: Automotive

I got an ez go/gem steering wheel that even says its for a gem but it doesn’t fit mine. It’s too deep of an adapter and won’t even bolt on.

Before I bought I ensured it was gem fitable but clearly it’s not.

It’s just like this one http://www.mymadjax.com/fixed_mjsh2000.jpg

[quote=Gwest;25135]Here is a link to the forever sharp easy go adapter that you will need to put a steering wheel on your gem. This adapter happens to have a few different bolt patterns so you’re not stuck with the standard six bolt hole pattern

Amazon.com: EZGo Golf Cart 5/6 Bolt Steering Wheel Adapter: Automotive[/quote]

It won’t fit a 2015

Hummm. The short “forever sharp” will fit . I’m not sure about a 2015 but I’m sure a 02-08 the years I own it will work on

The Standard EZ go adaptor is pretty long. It will not fit on a gem UNLESS you chop it down / cut off the long section. This can be done very easily. Simply place a hose clamp around the section or length you wish to cut off and get a new hack saw blade and use the hose clamp as a guide for your hack saw. I orderd an adaptor and the one that showed up was a long one (not knowing I needed a shorty) rather then return it and wait a week I simply just cut myn down using the method described above

Do any of the replacement steering wheels allow you to add the horn in the center like a car?

The center cap of most of the aftermarket wheels have the horn button. So if the wheel you buy doesn’t have one you can always buy aftermarket. "Painless Wiring"
Sells a replacement horn button that’s a RF remote so you don’t have to run wire up to your wheel. Some of the horn center caps have 4-6 buttons that allow you to turn things on and off remotely if you don’t feel like adding switches to you dash ect

Example; Painless Performance Horn Button RF Control Centers 20302 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

its like the collar on that adapter is too long if it were cut down by about 2" it would work… so anything short and compact will be fine. other than that it fits…

Might first check availability. Say’s it’s “Not Available” for whatever that means.

Al

How did you run the horn wires from the side of column to come up to the center of the wheel for the horn button on center of steering wheel

They make a kit with the new horns. The way it works is the horn button creates a ground when pushed and that makes the horn work. You don’t actually run a wire up and threw the colum. The ground attaches to the colum and the metal Carys the ground up to the wheel and the button on the wheel makes the ground. I’m sure other people here can give a better explanations. I just used the factory button on the colum

Thanks for that info.
I called Forever Sharp and told them what I have a gem and I wanted a new steering wheel but with the shortest adaption possible so it doesn’t put the wheel out too far. He told me these are the pieces I need (see Pic).
But looking at it the adapter on one end is small so it leaves the bolts that mount the dash to the column exposed.
The horn button comes with one wire but the factory button has 2 wires.
I would like to try and get the horn to work with center button but not a deal killer.

So I figured I might as well give it a try and here is the final result. I guess the guy at forever sharp did know what he was talking about.

I think it looks great and no noticeable difference in distance to wheel but it sure seems to steer easier. I did abandon the horn and left it stock on the column. That may be a project for another day.

A winner in my book.

Sorry pic is sideways