Starting my GEM LED light conversion - separate electrical system

I have ordered $350 worth of various lights and odds and ends to make my GEM car unique. It will be probably one of the most ‘illuminated’ gem cars out there. New headlights, tailights, LED strips, emergency lights, siren and PA system, air horn, and disco ball. I bought a separate 12v Batt that will mount in the bed that will power all this. I will update this post as I complete the task. I have basically removed all the accessory wiring harnesses and I am getting new Duracell Lead Acids due to cost and my limited range need. The last ones lasted almost 3 years and I did not maintain them properly.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

“Ok I’m on Board” Subscribed!
overkill is underrated
Let’s see this “Lit” project

@Mike_Skaggs - what do you have planned for the headlights? I’ve replaced all the factory lights with LEDs except for the headlights. I’d like to replace them with some Rigid cube lights but there is a significant price jump between their flood/spot lights and their driving lights. I haven’t seen them in person so I’m not sure how different the light patterns are but I’d want a rather clean cutoff at the top to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. I know there are also similar cheaper options available with mixed results. I’ll likely end up ordering a few sets from Amazon to test them out and return the rest.

I agree about the headlights. With the roundedness of the top of the fairing and the blending of the headlight buckets I have never been pleased with my solution.
I’m half tempted to just fiberglass the top section smooth and do my own thing.

I also have a hard time with knowing when to stop modding.

I always thought putting in a car headlamp package would be cool, but finding one with the right curve and height would take some trial and error.

Guessing that is a headlamp out of a Pontiac Grand Prix or similar. My family had one and those lights weren’t great. My brother was going to retrofit a HID projector into the housing but he never got around to it. He offered the parts to me for the GEM but I’d want to do LED bulbs instead of Xenon.

I’m still going through the phase one mods (lithium, trans swap, D&D speed motor, suspension, brakes, wheels, wrap, accent lights, stereo, polishing/cleaning, etc.) so I’m not ready to jump into an intensive headlight fabrication project but I could see doing one in the future if I’m still not satisfied.

If you wanna have a real high powered Car Style lamp you should check out a LED or HID H11 Bulb, Combined with a Projector Headlamp.

The projector is a Fish Eye Lenze style light/Lamp. All a projector does is Hold or house the H11 Bulb. A projector would fit nice in most Gem Car headlight openings.
I would recommend a LED Over a HID I have had both and the HID’s always had issues with the Ballast and even with high end lights
Like O light and K light they both claped out out.

Fully agree. I’ve run HID in my regular vehicles for years and immediately converted to LED as soon as the cost came down. Easier to install, maybe even brighter than HID.

What did you use for those turn signals?

Rear lights installed - Amazon sent the wrong headlights so Im waiting to install all the front lights

https://youtu.be/vkSLApEjMpk

That’s alotta flashin’ fella.

I have three different turning signals.

These are my sequential running lights/ turn signals.

These are my signals I put into the stock locations.

These are the bulbs I used in my stock tail light housings. (which are also turn blinkers.)

These are the side mirrors with turn signals. (I’d get nicer ones if I did this again).

OK I have to admit no photos this thread is dying on the vine

Light bar installed. Amazon sent me the wrong stuff so I’m kinda stalled.

Show us how you installed this bar and how you ran the wires. Inquiring minds want to know :slight_smile:

/oblig

I was thinking somthing like this

Or this