Starting a Gem custom build

I am new to Gems…and I am thinking of buying one and doing a custom build as something cool for my company and to cruise around the neighborhood. My company builds bars…so I have a pretty stocked shop.

I was thinking about buying a newer model to start like a 2007 (I even considered buying a 2012…but it seemed like a waste). But since I am going to tear it down and rebuild it…Is there any benefit? There are tons of 2001’s out there pretty cheap. If anyone has any ideas on where I can pick up a stripped down one…please tell.

I plan to

• new motor. Thinking of the 7.5hp performance…may go larger if I can find something cool with torque…and new controller
  • I am going to beef up the back end to create new accessories…bar, dj stand, rear seat, cargo
  • bling out the interior…sound system, speakers, electronics
  • lift…not sure of the size…with new wheels/tires
  • customize the exterior panels and add led lighting…custom paint

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Richardbigspender… wow Richard… not sure where you should start… all GEMs are on pretty much the same frames and have the same bodies… pre 2004’s have some good points for what you sound like you want to do… cheap & battery placement… not some of the refinements… disc brakes… steering to name a couple… some one made a list ’ What a Difference a Year Makes’ and it on the web…

finding a car… where are you? look on Craigslist under both car and cart… look on eBay… you’ll find the most cars in areas of retired prople… AZ… CA… FL… and inbetween…

bigger can be better but has it down sides as well… less travel distance… there is a way to change the controllers… beefing the shocks can be done… there are some photos on Google images that I’ve seen of long bed trucks tricked the way you are talking… sort of…

for starters… learn more about the GEM before you start your project!

Bob

Thanks Bob. We are just North of Atlanta. Getting to know the GEMs well before we buy…I do undertand that there were lots of refinements in 2004 and later…including steering, braking, etc. We are looking at both Craigslist and Ebay. Hopefully we will get started soon.

[QUOTE=Richardbigspender;12293]I am new to Gems…and I am thinking of buying one and doing a custom build as something cool for my company and to cruise around the neighborhood. My company builds bars…so I have a pretty stocked shop.

I was thinking about buying a newer model to start like a 2007 (I even considered buying a 2012…but it seemed like a waste). But since I am going to tear it down and rebuild it…Is there any benefit? There are tons of 2001’s out there pretty cheap. If anyone has any ideas on where I can pick up a stripped down one…please tell.

I plan to

• new motor. Thinking of the 7.5hp performance…may go larger if I can find something cool with torque…and new controller
  • I am going to beef up the back end to create new accessories…bar, dj stand, rear seat, cargo
  • bling out the interior…sound system, speakers, electronics
  • lift…not sure of the size…with new wheels/tires
  • customize the exterior panels and add led lighting…custom paint

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated[/QUOTE]