Newbie just bought what appears to be a frankenGEM...Is it salvageable? to upgrade?

Greetings! Newbie(first gem) buyer of what appears to be FrankenGEM(mix of all different parts).
After reading about how it was pretty easy to DIY the upgrade to Lithium and add a more powerful motor, I was thinking that any solid base of the E4 would work.
The one I decided on(admitingly with limited time as I had to buy while visiting Fl), was listed as a '13 E4 that runs and just needs cosmetic(seats split, tired paint, dirty). I test drove it and it drove fine(has only 4 Trojan motive 12v for 48V from 2022), brakes worked, bushings, shocks, no rust on frame/components), so I thought for the price it could be a solid base…I bought it from a guy in Miami who restores golf carts.
I didnt think to check the motor as my intention was to replace that as well. When I checked it(after I paid to have it shipped to PR), it appears to be a 36v motor.

My intention was to replace the motor for a RFF motor, or similar(which is advertised as an easy DIY drop in), but when I called and said I have a 48v setup, he wanted no part of dealing with my FrankenGEM monster! haha!
So, you probably need more info, but what woud I need to confirm besides what I already have, that this GEM could act as a good base to do a full upgrade?
It would live in a beach community and our house is up a steep hill. I assumed I would need a more powerful motor and def. want to upgrade to lithium.
I plan on getting up to speed on all things GEM in the next week and will have time to order and complete the work in a couple of weeks. Of course, if it is a wasted cause don’t want to move forward.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Cassidy

Yep- You picked a hell of a project to get your feet wet on. It doesn’t sound like you have anything close to a '13 car. Be warned, I hope you didn’t spend much.

If this came from some sort of a dealer, feel free to list this guy as a warning to others. Is there a chance you can get your money back? But, I am being premature in my judgement(need more info). From your description so far this may be a 98~99 TransGo. They don’t have much (or anything) in common with a modern Gem other than the body lines. They are basically more related to a golf cart. This is not saying it can’t be a fun cart, but you will be looking for advice from those other groups.

After reading about how it was pretty easy to DIY the upgrade to Lithium

Yes and no. It more/less depends on your skill set, what is in your tool box, and how fat your wallet is. The real old cars tend to be a huge money pit and the cause for major frustration. Quite a few here have gone down the “cheap/free car” path only to realize they would have been far better off buying a newer car as a base. In your defense, you thought it was a newer car (2013) but you didn’t know enough to spot the error.

To figure out what exactly what you have, there should be a VIN sticker on the upper roof panel above the rear window driver side.

Post a few more pics. Need a couple of the front corner and rear corners for an overall view, then one under the front hood, and one of the contents under the dash.

48v series car. Not much to start with.
This may get a @JarJarJava rating below his normal critique.

Thanks for your feedback! No, I already paid to have it shipped to Puerto Rico, so either I use it as is, figure out how to upgrade it(if its worth it), or sell it here(should be able to recoop my cost).

He is more of a backyard rebuilder. He did have another fully restored Gem that is his personal one that looked well done.
The VIN is from a late 2012 GEM Car. I ran it through to see if it was stolen or totalled and it came back clear. Maybe he took the body off the newer and put it on one of the Transgo’s you are refering to.
Here are some of the pics that I have…
Side View

Front

Back

I only have close ups of under the hood

Some undercarriage(where a cross member was cut to put in the acelerator pedal)…

I didnt think to take off the dash to get a pic under there. Let me know if these pics help clear up what I am dealing with.
Thanks!

If it is mostly a 2012 with a 48v series motor system. You may have something to work with. Imo
Are 1/2 shafts equal length, or is motor offset to drivers side?

I would love to know! I wish I would have done more research so I would have known whether this is a frame off switcharoo! Thanks!

You are correct- This is quite a mix of parts. This is not a TransGo (red headed stepchild).
I see a frame, body parts, and suspension from a '12 era car, but the controller and reversing solenoid from a 48v golf cart. Also, a column from a Gen1 Early car(turn signal switch).

It is possible that the backyard mechanic didn’t understand the GEM electrical system and yanked it all out instead of learning something new, replacing it with what he is familiar with.

It is also possible this car was one of the many flood damaged cars from the hurricane and all the electrical went under water while the car was active.

Under the dash would be nice to see, as there was a fuse panel in there that ran most of the car subsystems.

There is nothing really wrong with this car as it is probably simplified, and if done right, it opens you up to many of the cart style modifiers and performance upgrades. You just need to be aware what you have. No-one else will know how to work on this car.

a cross member was cut to put in the acelerator pedal

Difficult to tell what he did from this pic. Hopefully whatever was cut here is not structural.

2 Likes

It may be that he followed through on what many have threatened.
To get around the percieved high maintainance of Gem car. Rip it out and put in a golf cart drive system.
Not a terrible idea.

1 Like

I only have one pic and it is just of the shaft from the motor to the drivers side. Wish I took more, Currently 2 hrs away from it.
Here is the pic…

His very own little 48v that should be 72v gem. He should name it George, and hug it and pet it and squeeze it…

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it! He did say that he replaced the wiring harness. If it was a flooded I would think it would show up on the VIN or more corosion?
Now I cant wait to remove the dash to check it out.
I am mechanically inclined(just no experience with Gem yet) , I have more tools than I should. I was planning on spending $$$ to get a solid car to cruise to the beach and short trips in town.
Just don’t want to end up with the headaches others have had.
The carts are much more expensive here and people really like them!. I could probably sell it for a small profit quickly if that is the better way to go.
Thanks for your expertise!

That is a super helpful comment. Thanks.

No- I’d keep it. You have a good base to build from. Suspension and brakes are a major upgrade from the early cars.

Your body panels are in good shape but tend to those cracks around the mounts before they get worse.

Keep an eye on all the metal parts. Get right after any corrosion and see if the bolts will come out. Apply penetrating oil /wd-40 on all screws, lug nuts, etc.

You probably have a 12.44 gear set in there which is a good for hilly areas.

If it runs, even better. Learn what is in there, find out how the car works for you and modify as needed. Hang out on the cart forums for ideas.

Sweet. Thanks for your input! I had put aside 7k for the refit. The suspension seems pretty good, and it does have the disc brakes on the front end. Some corrosion on the brake lines and a couple of other areas, but the aluminum frame is good(except where the cross member was cut out). I probably will weld another cross piece in there just to be safe.
Yeah, my plan was to seal/reinforce the panels where the cracks are and paint the front and back end.
I just didn’t want to go near the aesthetic items until I am certain the mechanical/electrical work is solid.

Thanks!

When the time comes for headlights, let me know and I will dig up a link for them. Or you might be able to find it on here somewhere, I’ve posted it for others before.

1 Like

No need to thank me. I do it for the good of humanity… please tip ypur waitress though. They are the ones putting up with you.