SOC input

I have a 2005 E4 with a T3 controller. Ever since I replaced my flooded batteries with gel batteries my SOC gauge reading does not change regardless of the amount of charge in the battery pack. Before the change the gauge worked properly. I have calibrated the gauge per instructions found in this forum. Regardless of what level I calibrate the SOC to - 100% 70% 50% etc. the SOC gauge never changes from that value.
Does the gauge get it’s value from a separate monitoring circuit that I may have caused an issue with when changing batteries? I do not see any wires that I did not connect when changing the batteries.Does the SOC gauge receive a signal from the batteries, the controller, or elsewhere? I have ordered a stand alone volt/amp gauge to install but wanted to make one more effort at repairing the factory gauge before I abandon it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you change the algorithm on your charger? Should be 14 for gels.

The algorithm was 14 with the old flooded batteries - I never could get it to change so when I bought batteries I just left it at 14 for the new gels.

Your part of a big club on that one.

Try the procedure again

The procedure works perfectly. I can calibrate the SOC gauge to read any value I want. Unfortunately, the gauge stays at that value after I use the car and when I charge it. never moving any amount from where I left it. It seems like the input voltage never gets to whatever is activating the gague and it is stuck on the last value it had.The volt/amp meter arrived today so I’ll try calibrating one more time this week end. Then it is getting an additional meter,

Actually the real time meter is more accurate. I have a combo Volt and Amp unit. Helps me keep my foot out of it.:lol:

The volt/amp meter is in now and I am surprised at the difference a little lighter foot makes on the amp draw of the motor. The volt meter is calibrated within 0.1 volts. Now to run down the batteries to know what voltage is too low to drive the car and I’m set.

Check Function 15 to make sure it’s set at 72

This is required to make sure SOC operates correctly

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31655]Check Function 15 to make sure it’s set at 72

This is required to make sure SOC operates correctly[/quote]

I think you are referring to using some kind of programmer. Unfortunately I do not have one. But thanks

Yes you do.

I went through the turn signal/odometer programming items and did not see a function 15. Where do I find this and how do I check the settings ?
For what it is worth, I think the SOC signal must come from the charger. My charger is flaky. I have to plug in, let it show fault for a while(20 min), then unplug and re plug until it starts charging. When it does, it will usually charge the batteries. Sometimes giving the finished green led but usually it just goes into fault red led flash. All this wierdness will probably go away if/when I bite the bullit and replace or rebuild the charger.
I was considering buiying this as a replacement.
Delta Q Quiq Replacement Charger 72 Volt 12 Amp Gem Car 912 7200 | eBay

You have to buy a program and adaptor for your computer to read, set, or modify the controller program. I would NOT be with out it. Dave (Inwo) can fix you up. I would do this before buying a charger. The charger charges the battery;s the controller supplies the SOC

I can get your 72 volt charger rebuilt for $300 and T1 thru T4 controllers remanufactured for $350 Plus postage.

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31809]You have to buy a program and adaptor for your computer to read, set, or modify the controller program. I would NOT be with out it. Dave (Inwo) can fix you up. I would do this before buying a charger. The charger charges the battery;s the controller supplies the SOC

I can get your 72 volt charger rebuilt for $300 and T1 thru T4 controllers remanufactured for $350 Plus postage.

Rodney[/quote]
Thanks Rodney. I’ve been asking where the SOC come from for over a month. Now I know. I’ll look up Dave. And ill holler before I buy a charger.or controller.
On a separate note - thank you fore all the help and advice you give to me and all here ont the site. It is very much appreciated.

I saw your question the first day.:o

Reason for not answering is that I don’t know.
I believe it comes from the Gem. Not the controller or charger.
To the best of my knowledge there is no communication from the charger.
There is coms. from controller, but I don’t know if soc comes from there.

I’ve been meaning to test, time permitting.
Was hoping someone knew!:slight_smile:

I believe the chargers are dumb. They only perform the function programmed in their algorithm.

I further believe the controller calculates SOC based on tire size, gear ratio, current draw, and time under load.

The T1 and T2 had multiple settings to get the indicated running draw down to match the actual current consumed. I played with these settings quite a bit and now understand how to adjust to get indicated running to match actual.

The T3 - doesn’t have this option (14) but seems to work well. Function 15 needs to be set at 72 as a starting point though. However I prefer the Percentage number used on the earlier controllers as it is more definitive than a bar which probably covers 5% or more each.

What say you?

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;31816]The chargers are dumb. They only perform the function programmed in their algorithm.The controller calculates SOC based on tire size, gear ratio, current draw, and time. (I think)

The T1 and T2 had multiple settings to get the indicated running draw down to match the actual current consumed. I played with these settings quite a bit and now understand how to adjust to get indicated running to match actual.

The T3 - doesn’t have this option (14) but seems to work well. However I prefer the Percentage number as it is more definitive than a bar which probably covers 5% or more each.[/quote]
Thanks Rodney. I have ordered the programmer and look forward to tweeking my T3

Any one have a clue about the batt setting?
0 to -20 what does this do? It appears to also change your SOC or battery charge bars?