Battery status not indicated.

When I bought this GEM e4 it was not in operating condition. I repaired the motor and speed sensor but the display still showed several problems. I expected water in the main controller but it was OK. Next I removed the motor controller and found it has water in it. After drying it out the trouble indicators all went away and it operates fine except It now it indicates the battery is dead when in fact it is not. The only bar displayed is the red one except when charging all the bars display but disappears when the charger is disconnected. I may have reconnected a wire wrong. Any suggesting what is causing the display to not register the battery status. I want to re sell this unit but it would be worth more if I can get it 100%.

Did you find your problem? I have a 2015 Es that shows only one red bar with battery fully charged, just like yours did

I have not got a chance to look at it. Hope to by Monday.

Dave

let me know if you get it figured out. Thanks

I just took a quick voltage check and I have more than 70 volts on both P1 & P2 but my code still shows – 15 and the coil will not pick up. According to the trouble shooting guide the -15 should not show up unless the voltage drops below 62.3 volts. Note! At this point there is no load to pull the voltage down.

Any body have a suggestion?

Not sure where you are at. First said car was operating.

As far as -15, it is measured by controller before key is turned on. This is to make sure of adequate pre-charge.
I don’t have a diagram in front of me. Is p1 always on?
P2 is from switch.
Only know of two sources to pre-charge caps. P1 and P17. Measure with key off.

As far as soc display. Reset it to 100% when battery is fully charged and see if I starts working.
If it does not, the charger may not be connected properly or the gem control board is bad. The Gem tracks soc.

Do I need a programmer to reset the battery level? Note My car non-factory charger and does not interface with the control in any way I can determine.

Dave

Not giving me much to work with. I don’t know what gem you have or charger for that matter. They are all different.

If you want to get in on this problem, please go back and read the dialogue from the beginning. There is much information there.

Dave

Is it in another thread?

impossible to get gauge to work with this setup. Charger would have to be rewired thru the Gem if it is the proper charger.

1 Like

Would be glad to help, but I’d have to agree with Inwo here.

This is a confusing thread to follow.
Your original post was back in Aug 20. You found water in your motor controller, but you said you dried it out and all was working except your battery meter is dead, then the next sentence you say it has one red bar then all bars when charging but then disappears when charger disconnected. (a good sign of toasted batteries)

Then you disappear for 8 mos and appear to have another problem (code 15).

Inwo gives you several good suggestions, but you do not return with any results.

Nowhere do you mention details that tell us about your car, your new non-factory charger or how it is wired.

Sorry, but my crystal ball continues to be real cloudy on this.
Do you want a bunch of guesses? Or do you want more of a customized and directed suggestion what you should try next?

1 Like

You are looking at the wrong person. I am Dave Munson working on a GEM E825. I do not have a charger problem

Ok- switching to backup. Still confused.

I suggest that I don’t know the problem, the model year, what equipment is in the car, or how it’s connected.
I apologize if this is to the wrong Dave.

You may found an older posting. I don’t remember if I posted something like this on a former car.

The current posting should have been for replaced rebuilt control and could not get the main coil to pick up. O just woke up today that I have been reading the voltage at the wrong place, but if I had read it at the proper place the value would have ben the same. Bottom line is this my indicator says I do not have enough battery voltage to operate but I really do.

Is this in a Gem car?
Why the secrecy?

You want a SWAG? Ok… but you may not like it. And any or all of the following may be incorrect.

1. Your motor controller is bad. It is throwing a -15 code even tho you report “plenty of voltage”. Somehow the Internal programming has been corrupted. Probably related to the water incident from 8 mos ago. (see #4 below)

2. Your Battery meter is not programmed correctly. No you don’t need a programmer to reset it. There are quite a few threads in the archives that describe how to reset it. Use the magnifying glass tool in the upper right corner of the page to find the instructions. Look for “SOC reset”.

Note:

• These instructions are for resetting the SOC meter on 2005 and later cars.
  • To reset the SOC meter you need to charge the car to 100% first. (70v won’t cut it.)
  • The SOC meter relies on the built in stock charger wired in correctly to function properly.
  • The SOC meter is not responsible for why your main contactor is not pulling in.
  1. You stated in post 7 in this thread that you have a non-factory charger. Why was it changed and to what? This may be the issue with the battery meter.

2. In your post 16 you say you replaced/rebuilt the controller? When? (This may have been good to lead off with)

3. The moon landing was faked. (just checking to see if anyone was reading to the end)

1 Like

I replaced the controller in the one that was wet and then sold that car

I had a nonprofit org contact me about selling their older E25 GEM and I thought I would help them out and just buy it ff of them and then fix it up and get my money back. I learned it had a intermit control.
So thinking I would repair it, I did not shut off the main switch (dumb) and while re installing that control I flashed a wire to ground and then would GEM would not work. Thinking I may have damaged the controller I sent it off to get checked out. $500 and 2 months later I got it back and installed it and it won’t close the main contactor and throws a -15 code. The charger was changed before I bought it and evidently worked fine so should not be the problem. Just to day I did more checking and found there is almost full voltage across the B- and B+ terminals without the contactor closed. The 16 pin cable is unplugged from the controller that voltage goes away. Indicating to me the control is not shorted.

Which causes the contactor to close? The controller or the OSC? I get conflicting information on that.

Also. I pugged the charge up and watched as the voltage came up to 74 and still could not get the -15 to go away.

That is all I know out side I have checked all fuses, parking break switch and etc.

Dave

I forgot to say this is model 2003 E824. I need to know how to program the OSC.

Dave

154ECD943D20482293C1F415CFC96588.png