2017 Gem E6 SOC Indicator

Hello everyone. Just purchased a 2017 Gem E6, batteries were NOT in good shape. I have experience with DC equipment, so I decided to put in LifePo4 batteries. I also needed to change my Delta Quiq charger as it was not programmable, (i did not feel comfortable using it on the batteries even though my batteries have a BMS). I purchased a NOCO Industrial Charger 48v. Everything works just fine with the exception of the SOC Meter on the speedometer. SOC Meter is always depleting but never increases to 100%, obviously I know why but anybody know an Easy way to simply have it read 100%?

Doubt if you will get soc working. Is it important?
2017 charger IS programable.

1 Like

That doesn’t sound right. Is 48v a typo or did you go the wrong direction?
Hopefully you kept the old Delta Q?

16+ GEMS are 48v from the factory.

2016+ are 48v, but if I were changing batteries, 60v is a step up.
Original 48v DQ can charge to 65.68 volts. 16s
Grant tried it it his 2017, before going all in at 80 volts.

If it’s like the classics, the car needs to see the interlock and charge through the shunt.
Gem uses it’s own bms.
Do you have the new charger connected properly?

Only an annoyance looking at the low battery signal, but the car will still run.

MikeKC is right, 48V AC motor. There must be an inverter somewhere in the motor controller. I dont think the motor controller will be able to convert as high as 80v, possibly up to 65v.

The new charger is mounted in the front. I will snap some pics tomorrow. I have a lead running to the back batteries, I am using the same receptacle in the front and it charges perfect. I think my best bet is to send off my charger to get it re-programmed for Lithium and install it back.

Did you even try the original charger? It will probably work fine as is.

My main concern was the charging algorithm from the Delta Quiq, since they do not have a lithium profile i would have to use the AGM profile. The AGM profile goes through the equalization stage which is not really recommended for LifePO4 batteries. It does work, but the best plan i guess is to use the Noco while I send off the Quiq to get re-programmed. The advantage of the Noco is that I can get these batteries fully charged in about 4-5 hours.

The dq should do close to that with small 100ah batteries.
The bms will protect the batteries. Try it to see if it stops charging. 48v lead charger will overcharge 16s lifepo4. So the battery bms should trip before the Gem bms does.
Do you know how the 4 batteries work together? Or are they each on their own?
Or maybe the Norco is a 4 bank charger. That would be a great idea.

Ah- I did not know that. Thanks for the correction. I need to get a good look at the late models one of these days.

Maybe you need one for work. I have an extra one of these.

Dangit!!! I need to finish my (first?) car here. I caught myself staring at your pics wayyyy too long. How about I hit you up to see what is in your inventory in 6 mos and a few projects are cleared off the bench top?

#theaddictionisreal

Yes I have made a stock 2016 Run on 60 volts.
The stock Delta Q can be programmed to Charge a 60v pack I have one if you need it.

I actually have 8 of those, so its a 48v 200ah setup. I am glad we are on the same page, I guess the only negative is that it will still take longer to charge, not a huge deal as I have good range with 200ah. The 8 batteries do not talk to each other via BMS :frowning: but they do each have their own BMS. I actually was initially thinking of the noco 4 bank…would be cool to have the DQ plus the 4 bank noco.

Hi Grant, I could be wrong, but would it wouldnt make the car go faster since it uses an AC motor correct? I am thinking the inverter would just accept any voltage between 36-64 (i think) and simply convert that to 48v 3 phase AC. On another note, do you have a DQ charger that only does CC/CV (constant charge/constant voltage) at either 57.6 or 58.4?

Polaris SPECIAL ORDERS their chargers. Generic chargers will not drive the SOC function in most GEM carts. I know this from first hand experience, I ended up buying a rebuilt from Dave.