2017 Gem E6 SOC Indicator

Thank you for the input. I was able to successfully join 2 pins together on one of the plugs that the Charger connects to and have the car “think” it is being charged. I just dont think it is worth the time to invest in figuring things out. I want to see if I can get a Quiq charger programmed with LifePO4, I think that is best.

60v’s will not make the car go faster without replacing the AC Controller. The motor is limited in the controller to 6K RPM, you might get more torque tho.
Dave - any input on that?
@Inwo

As for 200ah and charging. I have a Tesla battery in my 2016 running 98v and 240ah. In short, yes it takes longer to charge, but you don’t need to charge as often - give/take. I est. that I can go about 100 miles on my battery (98v down to 70v) so I only have to charge it every couple weeks/months. LOL

There you go, that’s a big battery. :slight_smile:

At this point, true.
With that investment in batteries, a $1k new controller is trival, but it won’t help the state of soc issue.
We have little experience programming low voltage systems. I’m afraid that another 12v is needed to be sure of high performance.
So putt around for 125 miles, or race around for 75 mile range.

wow nice! I have those batteries as storage for my house. Did you change your AC Controller?

I am down in Miami, what would a new controller get me in terms of speed? What is the voltage range that the new controller would accept? Is it hard to install?

Search the forum for AC conversion or look for mine or David and Grants posts.
David and Grant have both converted 16+ stock cars - mine is a 16 but it was completely custom.

The 80v controller we use only goes down to 50v or so. Won’t work with your 48v system.
If you are willing to work with us, we can do a 48v controller for you. No idea if the performance is worth the swap. You can always put it back.

My suggestion would be to reconfigure your batteries for a test. 1p5s for 60 volts.
Your DQ will work. Need to see what DC-Dc converter you have. Max voltage it would see from your batteries is 72v.

Ask @Grant how hard it is. Easy for me. :slight_smile:
We would like to offer a 48v or 60v kit, but need a guinea pig. I have a car but not the time. The only one I did was like Grant’s. 80v battery and big motor.

are these the controllers? would it be a size 2 or 4? the bad of the LifePO4 is Max Cont Current and Peak. @ 48V I can continuously draw safely at 300 amps. My peak for 5 seconds or so would be 440 amps.

We have been using Size4 and Size6 for E6, but I think we have determined that we don’t need the Size6. The Size4 can handle an E6.

Do you know what the stock Gem E6 has in terms of the Continuous Phase Current (60 min)? Is stock Gem Size 2 or totally different controller? If i upgrade to the Size 4, will it have any impact on anything else in the car that I have to worry about?

Just FYI. My E6 hits about 36 mph and can maintain 34-35 mph continuously. I did get the Ride 4 Fun Speed Kit 1 to get that increase in speed. To my knowledge it was a gear set swap, nothing to do with motor controller. Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this space.

Seems everything is working well as it is.

Yea, I was looking at the manual just know, the E6 already has the Size 4 Motor Controller. I am guessing if I wanted to get to 40 mph I may need to configure a 72V system.

No we can do better with a reprogrammed s4 on 48v.
Just needs some testing.

Ok, I am down for testing. What is the best method? Do i buy one from you already reprogrammed and keep sending back until we get the right programming?

I noticed a tick up in performance. When you remove the heavy lead acid battery’s the car is just simply lighter. I’m sure the 60v didn’t hurt either

Let us talk it over, first, I need to see what I have for a 48v controller.
I think that a s4 48v is good to 550 amps. Your battery may limit performance.
Can you monitor battery current?
What would be your goal? A few more mph or do you need more torque?

Dang, I’m the only guy set up to test a 48v Gem. I like it better when you do all the work. :thinking:
Let me see how the next few weeks go. Where do you think I should start? Our 80v dc in a 48v s4?
An 80v may be ok above 40v. His battery current is limited to 300a.

Is that each battery or for the 2p batteries.