Smoke coming from D&D 7.5Hp engine in 2008 GEM

I just changed the engine seal and the speed magnet sensor in my 2008 GEM with D&D 7.5HP engine. I also have a more powerful battery set up. I was going about 25 for 4 miles and then engine/transmission started smoking. I am thinking it might just be excess oil that wept out and the engine was hot so it smoked? any ideas?

How hot was the motor? D&D eliminated the protector so you need to keep an eye on it.
I would expect the controller to overheat first.

Any chance there was two shaft bumpers or some other spacer in the collet on the motor where it attaches to the 19-spline input to the gearbox? That would shove the rotor back enough to bind up and cause overheating at the end bearing.

very hot i would say. I did have the input shaft seal replaced with a Kit that Rodney sent me a few months ago.

I am not sure but i did have my mechanic here in LA change the bushing that Rodney sent me that was suppose to stop the leak. I could try to change the bearing again and look at the input shat in anticipation that it is leaking again and it is oil getting into the engine?

Something that has come up lately is how is your gearbox vented?
Does it have the little bellows stuck off the side?
Or does it have the hose that goes up and over acting as a vent?

Make sure that is not plugged up or kinked.

1 Like

good idea! I will check.

No, not the input shaft bearing.

The collet on the end of the motor. It slips over the input shaft on the gearbox. Inside that female collet, is there anything more than a single rubber bumper?

If the old bumper was compressed against the back of the collet and the mechanic didn’t see it or didn’t pull it out with a pick, or if there’s anything else in there, like a dime, then when the mechanic reinstalled the motor, if he put in the new bunper that Rodney includes in the kit, then intermal parts of your motor are being shoved back too much and possibly binding. This could cause the motor to overheat as you described

Huge thank you! I will check

I think was Jrjava was trying to say was
It’s it possible you accidentally installed a 2nd rubber bumper’s into the motor shaft?

It would be an easy rookie mistake. Pull the motor and make sure you only have 1 if your motor was Hot. I found that when I drove slow and up steep hills it made lots of heat.

Could it be that it need’ed a speedy run on the flats to cool off. My other cars that I would run for a extended periods all needed cool air kits
Vents , fans , controller heat sinks

More info on the cool air kits

1 Like