Hot motor to the touch?

Begin losing power after only a bar or two down. New gel batteries two years ago, not many hours/miles since, still check out perfect. Noticed that the motor is hot to the touch after fairly short runs, wondering if that could be the problem, needing to refurbish or replace my 5 HP stock motor in 2005 E2? Any ideas/help appreciated!

Check for a dragging brake on one of the wheels. If they get hot they will drag the car down and make the motor over work.

I appreciate your response, but what I’m asking is how hot is normal for the motor to be after some running around? Surely someone out there has some knowledge on this. Here goes again, “Is it normal for the motor to be hot to the touch after driving the GEM for a few miles?” By ‘hot to the touch’, I mean when you put your hand on it, you would burn your hand if you didn’t remove it immediately. Please, this is all I need to know at this point, thanks much!

No, that is not normal.

Is this a new car to you? Do you know the history?
Mainly- Do you know if anybody been into the controller and tweaked any of the settings?

He clearly does not want more questions (or answers) … “This is all I need to know at this point”

1 Like

Yup, pretty darn weird way to act IMO.

after 5 miles of spirited driving a motor would be too hot to hold your hand on, normal. a Ge 5hp motor has a thermal sensor in it, if Too hot it will trigger a limp mode and you Gem will slow down

Oh Mike this is a “few miles” so that can’t be five miles and clearly not spirited…right. Very specific information here.

1 Like

Weird way to act??? Guess you lost me there.

No idea about the controller, bought the GEM used two years ago.

Yes, how hot does the motor normally get after maybe 1-2 miles, pretty level? Too hot to touch or just warm? Then, would assume a different answer with 3-4+ miles with hills, etc. I thought this would be a pretty simple question, but maybe not asking right? Thanks!

dude, you asked for help and for ANY IDEAS regarding what could be going on and then you basically said STFU I just want to know if the motor should be hot to the touch. THAT was weird.

Given the minimal info presented, the answer seems to have been given 2 days ago.
In review:

“Is it normal for the motor to be hot to the touch after driving the GEM for a few miles?” By ‘hot to the touch’, I mean when you put your hand on it, you would burn your hand if you didn’t remove it immediately. Please, this is all I need to know at this point, thanks much!

A: No, that is not normal.

Is it not the answer you were originally looking for?
Care to start over?

Yea, I have no knowledge about motors - sorry.

2 Likes

This is after multiple cycles of full throttle ~250amp pulls to 28-29mph then off the pedal and let heavy regen make some power back and slow the cart down to 20 mph… lather, rinse, repeat for about 1.5 miles on level ground (no hills here), at which point I ran out of road. Maybe I wasn’t spirited enough.

Should be the same 5hp long GE motor & 12.44 gearbox as your 05, although I’m running higher voltage (slightly cooler) but 23" tall 8" wide tires (more load, harder to get moving) and, of course, overrevving the motor to 5500 rpm-ish for that kind of speed.

So, yeah, “burn your hand hot” is not normal. Lots of things it could be, not all related to the motor or controller though.

FLIR0257

1 Like