Series motor with 4Q controller

Hello all,

I have a boat with a brushed series wound 36VDC motor, and I was interested in using a four-quadrant controller to provide seamless forward/reverse control with one stick and no switches.

I realize that these are designed for brushed PM motors, the controller can reverse the polarity to reverse the motor.

In a series motor, reversing polarity/direction must be done in the field or the armature, but not both.

So, I am hoping that I could use the four-quadrant controller’s motor output to connect to the armature1, armature2 back to the controllers other motor connection, then from the B- of the controller, go through the field winding and then return to the battery -.

This configuration would basically look like:

Battery + > fuse/contactor > controller B+ > controller motor1> motor A1 >motor A2 > controller motor2> controller B-> motor S1 >motor S2 > battery -.

What do you think? This would allow the motor controller to change motor polarity in the armature, but the field would stay the same, which would provide bump-less reversing. I am completely unconcerned with regen capability.

Many thanks for your advice,

Benjamin

[quote=nevbuggie;32885]Hello all,

I have a boat with a brushed series wound 36VDC motor, and I was interested in using a four-quadrant controller to provide seamless forward/reverse control with one stick and no switches.

I realize that these are designed for brushed PM motors, the controller can reverse the polarity to reverse the motor.

In a series motor, reversing polarity/direction must be done in the field or the armature, but not both.

So, I am hoping that I could use the four-quadrant controller’s motor output to connect to the armature1, armature2 back to the controllers other motor connection, then from the B- of the controller, go through the field winding and then return to the battery -.

This configuration would basically look like:

Battery + > fuse/contactor > controller B+ > controller motor1> motor A1 >motor A2 > controller motor2> controller B-> motor S1 >motor S2 > battery -.

What do you think? This would allow the motor controller to change motor polarity in the armature, but the field would stay the same, which would provide bump-less reversing. I am completely unconcerned with regen capability.

Many thanks for your advice,

Benjamin[/quote]

S1 and S2 can’t both be connected to B-. Battery- and B- is the same. :confused:
A pm motor would work or shunt wound.

Don’t try to invent something. Get an SX motor and controller.